Internal FQDN populates when setting up external clients. RRS feed

• Question

• When I am setting up internal clients everything works as expected. However when I set up a client external to the building I choose Manually configure server types > Microsoft Exchange drop in the external name of my server mail.domain.com , the username and click Check Name after clicking that the mail.domain.com changes to servername.domain.local , to ensure that there are no other issues I modified the host file to have servername.domain.local to point to mail.domain.com's ip since obviously servername.domain.local would not resolve outside the building. When I do this everything works fine (I dont actually have clients using this method dont worry); and I understand why.

What I dont understand is why it populates with the internal FQDN.

I have manually set the following sites to be https://mail.domain.com since mail.domain.com will point to the server internally.

WebServicesVirutalDirecotry -InternalURL and ExternalURL
    ClientAccessServer AutodiscoverServiceInternalUrl
    AutodiscoveryVirtualDirecotry-InternalURL and ExternalURL

and I have reset iis as well.

Computer Systems Network Tech

Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you resolve servername.domain.local from external?

I recommend you check if you release the "servername.domain.com" record to external or not.

Thanks.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 28, 2014 8:37 AM
  • We would not release servername.domain.com it is servername.domain.local and thats what I need to change. 

Do you mean mail.domain.com ? I did not once manage a servername.domain.com .

Friday, February 28, 2014 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

Could you resolve servername.domain.local from external?

I recommend you check if you release the "servername.domain.com" record to external or not.

Thanks.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Yes I can resolve the name when I ping it, when I put it in the browser it takes me to the  web mail   front end. This is expected. 

Monday, March 3, 2014 2:13 PM