how to delete 126MB CBS.log file RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. My CBS.log file is 126MB. From services, the options to stop and/or disable the service "Windows Module Installer" are dimmed out. Any ideas how I can stop the service so I delete the log file and get the space back?

<input id="7c9ef3b0-0f2b-449d-812d-b93b576c57cb_attachments" type="hidden" value="" />                
    Monday, December 15, 2014 10:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Gordon,

We could use command method to disable this service:

1. Open the command prompt as administrator.

2. Type the following command (Make sure it was enabled before):

net stop TrustedInstaller

In addition, please use disk cleanup to free up the space:

Delete files using Disk Cleanup

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-7

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Karen Hu Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:59 AM update
    • Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Friday, December 26, 2014 2:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by FangZhou Chen Thursday, January 8, 2015 2:35 AM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:50 AM
  • When I try "net stop TrustedInstaller" I get an "Access denied" error.

For some reason today the CBS.log file is only a few MB large. I'm not sure what happened to the huge file on my machine a few days ago. But the problem is moot for now.

Thanks.

Saturday, December 20, 2014 9:40 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, it should your account permission issue. Please make sure you logon with the administrator account to operate.

Karen Hu

Friday, December 26, 2014 1:47 AM
  • Should being logged on as a user that has full administration privileges do the same thing? Or does it have to be the account named "administrator"?
    Friday, December 26, 2014 11:32 AM
  • Hi Gordon,

Of course, it should be a user that has full administrator privileges. Sorry for my unclear description.

Karen Hu

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 2:29 AM
  • User which we do "net stop Trustedinstaller" is Localadmin on the Machine and member of Domain Admin.

We run the cmd.exe as Administrator

* Does not work Windows 7 64BIT

Also with Local admin this does not work dated 18.05.2015 on machine with all WSUS-updates.
    Monday, May 18, 2015 3:52 PM