none
OLAP Cube Build Failure at 50%, Error 17004 RRS feed

• Question

• Our OLAP cube has been running fine since installation and all of a sudden I'm starting to get cube 17004 and the cube only completes to 50%. Looks to get to 50% in about 3 or 4 minutes which I would expect, then sits there for about an hour "processing." Here's what I see in the queue error message:

• CBS message processor failed:
      • CBSOlapProcessingFailure (17004) - Failed to process the Analysis Services       database PS2013OLAP on the veocpsdb001 server. Error: Internal error: The       operation terminated unsuccessfully. OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error:       Query timeout expired; HYT00; Unknown token received from SQL Server;       HY000. Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while       processing the 'Assignment Timephased' partition of the 'Assignment       Timephased' measure group for the 'Assignment Timephased' cube from the       PS2013OLAP database. Server: The current operation was cancelled because       another operation in the transaction failed. Errors in the OLAP storage       engine: An error occurred while processing the 'Assignment Non       Timephased' partition of the 'Assignment Non Timephased' measure group       for the 'Assignment Non Timephased' cube from the PS2013OLAP database. .       Details: id='17004' name='CBSOlapProcessingFailure'       uid='9123236d-062c-e611-8124-005056886d32' QueueMessageBody='Setting       UID=6a598bd0-20f4-e511-811f-005056886d32 ASServerName=veocpsdb001       ASDBName=PS2013OLAP ASExtraNetAddress= RangeChoice=0 PastNum=1 PastUnit=0       NextNum=1 NextUnit=0 FromDate=03/27/2016 08:00:00 ToDate=03/27/2016       08:00:00 HighPriority=True' Error='Failed to process the Analysis       Services database PS2013OLAP on the veocpsdb001 server. Error: Internal       error: The operation terminated unsuccessfully. OLE DB error: OLE DB or       ODBC error: Query timeout expired; HYT00; Unknown token received from SQL       Server; HY000. Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while       processing the 'Assignment Timephased' partition of the 'Assignment       Timephased' measure group for the 'Assignment Timephased' cube from the       PS2013OLAP database. Server: The current operation was cancelled because       another operation in the transaction failed. Errors in the OLAP storage       engine: An error occurred while processing the 'Assignment Non       Timephased' partition of the 'Assignment Non Timephased' measure group       for the 'Assignment Non Timephased' cube from the PS2013OLAP database. '.

This is a new error I've not see before. Anyone else run across this that could provide some input on this? Thanks

Rick Frisby

Monday, June 6, 2016 7:26 PM

Answers

• As a follow-up to anyone reading this thread, looks like rebooting worked only temporarily. The next day, same failure at 50% and same errors again. Truly puzzling. Ended up doing the following:

• Forced a rebuild of the reporting database
    • Removed all the custom fields from the OLAP and ran a build cube (got a Build Success!)
    • Added back all the custom fields to OLAP and ran a build cube (got a Build Success!)
    • Checked this morning to see if the overnight nightly build cube ran with success and it did.
    • Tested a few reports this morning and looks like they are working.

Still don't know why things went south, but this got the OLAP and reports working again. I'll monitor for a few days and see if this fix holds.

Rick Frisby

• Marked as answer by Rick VF Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:30 PM
    • Edited by Rick VF Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:32 PM
    Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Rick,

A quick google search came up with a potential answer.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1425228-391-1.aspx

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 8:45 AM
  • Thanks for the response Ben. I'm looking at that thread and it looks like that was a first time issue. What's so puzzling here is this has been running fine for months and all of a sudden started doing this, so not sure what would have changed account wise as we didn't make any account changes. I'll start looking at the account and see if I see anything unusual.

Rick Frisby

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 11:56 AM
  • Checked the service account and it is not NETWORK SERVICE and has proper permissions. Again, it has been working fine for months until now. Not finding any other reason, we rebooted the server and now it seems to be working again. I guess the universal fix is rebooting the server, but sure would like to know why things like this happen. Very strange indeed. Thanks again for the response Ben, it gave us a place to start looking.

Rick Frisby

• Marked as answer by Rick VF Wednesday, June 8, 2016 11:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rick VF Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:23 PM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 11:37 AM
  • As a follow-up to anyone reading this thread, looks like rebooting worked only temporarily. The next day, same failure at 50% and same errors again. Truly puzzling. Ended up doing the following:

• Forced a rebuild of the reporting database
    • Removed all the custom fields from the OLAP and ran a build cube (got a Build Success!)
    • Added back all the custom fields to OLAP and ran a build cube (got a Build Success!)
    • Checked this morning to see if the overnight nightly build cube ran with success and it did.
    • Tested a few reports this morning and looks like they are working.

Still don't know why things went south, but this got the OLAP and reports working again. I'll monitor for a few days and see if this fix holds.

Rick Frisby

• Marked as answer by Rick VF Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:30 PM
    • Edited by Rick VF Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:32 PM
    Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:30 PM
  • Just an update. Have had no more OLAP build failures since the rebuild of the reporting database and OLAP. Hopefullly that did the trick.

Rick Frisby

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 6:58 PM