lync mediation HA RRS feed

• Question

• I have two front end servers and mediation servers are collocated on these two servers my question is can I use my hardware load balancer to high avail my connection between mediation servers and CUCM by giving CUCM the IP of my load balancer and make my load balance the load between the servers   

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:47 PM

Answers

• Yes, it is possible to use a HLB to load balance mediation service traffic if you like.  Here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398833.aspx

You will find ports 5067 and 5068 (default mediation server ports) along with 5070 (internal server to server traffic port).  I will say in experience that I have found it easier to take advantage of the native load balancing within the product.  Creating two SIP Trunks in the CUCM and having it load balance between the servers and monitor the state of the SIP trunk.

Enjoy.

Richard

Richard Brynteson, Avtex, Lync MCM

• Proposed as answer by Noya Lau Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Noya Lau Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:05 AM
    Saturday, June 16, 2012 3:02 AM
  • You can use hardware load balancing to distribute traffic from a Mediation Server pool’s gateway peer, including a PSTN gateway, IP-PBX, or SIP trunk Session Border Control (SBC).

In addition, please refer to the Hardware Load Balancer Requirements for Lync Server 2010. Hope it is useful.

Noya Lau

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 18, 2012 3:39 AM

All replies

• Yes, it is possible to use a HLB to load balance mediation service traffic if you like.  Here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398833.aspx

You will find ports 5067 and 5068 (default mediation server ports) along with 5070 (internal server to server traffic port).  I will say in experience that I have found it easier to take advantage of the native load balancing within the product.  Creating two SIP Trunks in the CUCM and having it load balance between the servers and monitor the state of the SIP trunk.

Enjoy.

Richard

Richard Brynteson, Avtex, Lync MCM

• Proposed as answer by Noya Lau Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:05 AM
    Saturday, June 16, 2012 3:02 AM
  • You can use hardware load balancing to distribute traffic from a Mediation Server pool’s gateway peer, including a PSTN gateway, IP-PBX, or SIP trunk Session Border Control (SBC).

In addition, please refer to the Hardware Load Balancer Requirements for Lync Server 2010. Hope it is useful.

Noya Lau

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 18, 2012 3:39 AM