Allow a user in the "Users" group to run a program without administrator privileges RRS feed

• Question

• I want to allow a user in the "Users" group in Windows 10 to run a program that currently requires elevated privileges. I do not want to add them to the Administrators group, nor do I want to turn off UAC. Can this be done?

What I've tried so far:

Giving them full control over the directory that the program resides in. - Did not work

Modified all the UAC settings under security settings/local policies/security options - Did not work

Thanks

Keith

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 5:47 PM

All replies

• Why does the program require elevated privileges? That is.. does it test to see that it is running elevated and prompts the user? Or does it try to access some registry entry or access some file/directory and encounters an access denied error?

You could try running Process Monitor and look for "access denied" errors on the registry and file system. Then update the permissions to allow users to access those resources. (Be careful what you change!!!) 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Is this an inhouse developed program or purchased software?  

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 11:28 PM
  • Greetings!

As we haven’t heard from you for a few days, may I confirm with you on the latest status? Was the above information provided from MotoX80 helpful to you?

Much appreciated for your response in advance.

Sincerely Yours,
    Charles

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 2:55 AM