unable to access Administrator account. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I am unable to access my administrator account.

I am using windows 10. When I try to update or install new software, the box appears saying do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device, but there is only the no box to click, Not a yes box. There is a message that says "To continue, enter an admin user name and password", but there is no where to type this?

When I check in the control panel and user accounts, there is no administrator account showing, and when I try to change the account type of the local account user, it tells me to log in as an administrator, which I am unable to do!

Thanks for any help!

Barry.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 9:39 AM

All replies

• Proposed as answer by Spam filter Thursday, May 4, 2017 2:08 AM
    Sunday, April 23, 2017 11:36 PM
  • Hi Barry,

Based on your description, it seems that your computer has no administrator account. If so, I am afraid that you have to reinstall your Windows.

Let's double confirm that:

1. Click Win+R to open the Run box.

2. Type lusrmgr,msc and press Enter to open Local user and group console.

3. Expand the Users folder in the left pane, check if there is any other administrator account there.

If no one and built-in administrator account is disabled, no none method but reinstall.

If there is one administrator account, sign in it and promote current account to Administrator account. Afterwards,do anything that you want.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 2:52 AM
  • Hello,

Also see if this fix helps you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-lost-administrative-rights-in-windows-10

Hope this helps, Good luck!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:48 AM