none
Display changes causing lags in performance RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 allows you to set the frequency by which display preferences like wallpaper and colors change.   I have noticed during one of those changes that applications will freeze temporarily while the change occurs.  Outlook is the worst of the apps that is impacted, as it will pause whatever you are typing and wait 10 seconds before it catches back up.  If you have calendars selected and viewable, they will repaint over and over and over.  I notice other apps will pause as well.  For example, as i was typing this very messsage, the letter paused and froze even as i kept typing.  A second later i saw the wallpaper change again (along with some colors and such).  What is it about that process that is causing this problem?  What do i need to do to fix it?  Is it a graphics card issue?  or a windows setting?  or what?

I'm noticing it on multiple machines in our office with various graphics cards.  I have a NVIDIA K2200 and someone else has an Intel UHD 630 Graphics card.   Please advise.

Friday, July 19, 2019 8:35 PM

All replies

• Make sure that you have installed latest graphic card drivers. Visit the support sites of the manufacturers to download and install the latest drivers.

1) go to settings

2)select personalization

3)select colors

4)disable automatically select accent color  from background

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Saturday, July 20, 2019 12:03 AM
  • Thank you.  I'll have the users try disabling the "auto color select".  Does that mean you know of a known issue with that setting and/or other applications ability to manage the color change?  I want to be able to tell management that the setting is either a) defective or b) doesnt work under certain conditions.  
    Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:56 PM
  • More advanced personalization setting needs higher hardware configurations and compatible driver for good appearance, high performance usually shows a kind of low appearance. When we configure advanced personalization settings, when effect works, system or app performance may be affected.

So I think your thought is correct, you could tell management that the setting has defect under some certain conditions, but it is not a known issue but a normal situation.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 22, 2019 2:27 AM