Restoring Outlook Files from a Time Machine Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Mac using Microsoft Outlook for Mac Version 16.16 (180812) - 365 Subscription.

My Hard Drive crashed and needed to rebuild - successfully completed I restored 90% of the files from my Time Machine, however, the outlook files I had to recover manually.

I subsequently restored User\Library\Group Container\UB******9.Office\Outlook\Main Profile but still I can't see email, folders or contacts in outlook..

what am I doing wrong

sadly I never managed to export to .pst or .olm but I have all the files

any help will be greatly received and faithful applied 

Peter

• Moved by Manu Meng Monday, August 20, 2018 3:14 PM relocate
    Sunday, August 19, 2018 11:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, the issue is Outlook doesn't work after restoring files from a backup, which it is more related to a client issue. Therefore, to better resolve your issue, i will move the thread to Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum.

Thanks for your understandings!

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Troy Werelius Monday, August 20, 2018 7:20 PM
    Monday, August 20, 2018 2:33 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Do you see files/folders under User\Library\Group Container\UB******9.Office\Outlook\Main Profile, such as User\Library\Group Container\UB******9.Office\Outlook\Main Profile\Data\Messages\?

In theory, if you have successfully restored your Time Machine backup, Outlook should automatically rebuild its database to accommodate the restored items at the first start. Have you verified that you successfully restored the entire ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/Main Profile folder at the exact same location on your Mac? Moreover, it will take a while to rebuild your database if you have a large database.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, August 27, 2018 9:19 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 7:35 AM
  • Hi Peter,

How is everything going? Have you successfully restored your Outlook data?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Monday, August 27, 2018 9:20 AM
  • My version of Outlook for Mac 16.16 does NOT have the "Group Container" in the path identified above.  Any other suggestions?

Friday, January 18, 2019 9:19 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Do you see files/folders under User\Library\Group Container\UB******9.Office\Outlook\Main Profile, such as User\Library\Group Container\UB******9.Office\Outlook\Main Profile\Data\Messages\?

In theory, if you have successfully restored your Time Machine backup, Outlook should automatically rebuild its database to accommodate the restored items at the first start. Have you verified that you successfully restored the entire ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/Main Profile folder at the exact same location on your Mac? Moreover, it will take a while to rebuild your database if you have a large database.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Hi Steve,

I'm having the same issues.  All the files are restored.  I start Outlook but can't see any of the old folders / messages.  Is there a way of viewing the restore process?  How do I know it's even running?  The folded/database is only 950mb so can't imagine a rebuild could take that long.

Thanks

Dave

Sunday, March 3, 2019 11:42 AM