Strange Behavior RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

Ever since I upgraded to the 7100 build, windows has been acting strange. Initially, Sophos detected the "Malware/Generic-a" virus on a file and I am pretty sure it was a false alarm but I decided to do a fresh re-install of the build because I felt the computer had slowed down (specially Windows Live Messenger). I re-installed very carefully and made sure that the first application I install after Windows 7 is a clean and up-to-date version of Sophos Anti Virus. I am not facing any performance problems any more but there are some very strange problems I am facing that I didn't face in any of the earlier builds I used.

Firstly, everytime I start Windows Live Messenger, it starts Windows Installer, says "Please wait while Windows configures Windows Live Messenger" and then gives an error saying "Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel." On clicking OK, WLM continues to start as normal but I get the same error message if I try to un-install WLM. I tried un-installing it via Safe Mode but Windows Installer doesn't work on the Safe Mode.

Secondly, I am facing problems with audio that I didn't face before in any build before. Again, even this problem is strange. I listen to songs on WMP and it works fine but I get no sound via the browser (for e.g. on YouTube or any other website).
    Monday, May 18, 2009 4:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Syed,

I suspect that the Sophos anti-virus will not work with Windows 7 RC well. It is better the replace with another program. The following thread may be referred.

Stable anti-virus for windows 7 beta 1
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/173edf2f-b05a-481f-a569-15ce7d09042b

Regarding the sound issue, if it still occurs after you disabling the Sopho anti-virus, I suggest that you reset IE settings to default.

1. Click Start, please type “inetcpl.cpl” (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter to open the Internet options window.
    2. Switch to the Advanced tab.
    3. Click the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" button.
    4. Click Reset to confirm the operation.
    5. Click Close when the resetting process has finished.
    6. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the Settings box.
    7. Click Apply, click OK.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, May 25, 2009 4:05 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Syed,

I suspect that the Sophos anti-virus will not work with Windows 7 RC well. It is better the replace with another program. The following thread may be referred.

Stable anti-virus for windows 7 beta 1
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/173edf2f-b05a-481f-a569-15ce7d09042b

Regarding the sound issue, if it still occurs after you disabling the Sopho anti-virus, I suggest that you reset IE settings to default.

1. Click Start, please type “inetcpl.cpl” (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter to open the Internet options window.
    2. Switch to the Advanced tab.
    3. Click the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" button.
    4. Click Reset to confirm the operation.
    5. Click Close when the resetting process has finished.
    6. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the Settings box.
    7. Click Apply, click OK.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, May 25, 2009 4:05 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:24 AM
  • I have the same problems as described in the 2 last paragraphs as the above (quoted below) but with Windows XP :

Firstly, everytime I start Windows Live Messenger, it starts Windows Installer, says "Please wait while Windows configures Windows Live Messenger" and then gives an error saying "Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel." On clicking OK, WLM continues to start as normal but I get the same error message if I try to un-install WLM. I tried un-installing it via Safe Mode but Windows Installer doesn't work on the Safe Mode.

Secondly, I am facing problems with audio that I didn't face before in any build before. Again, even this problem is strange. I listen to songs on WMP and it works fine but I get no sound via the browser (for e.g. on YouTube or any other website).

How do I solve these two problems, please?

Thanks!
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 4:39 PM