none
steps for having my own external DNS Server RRS feed

• Question

• Please help me with links or steps to host my own external DNS Server. I am trying this first in test LAB. I have an internal domain with internal DNS Server. Exchange is working fine in that domain internally. Also by configuring Send Connector, I am also able to send email outside. I need to receive emails. Also I have a webserver. I will be greatful if anyone helps me.

Thank you

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:40 AM

Answers

• If you need to ask, you shouldn't be doing it.

But if you must:

Create a DNS server with the zone and records you require to be available to the internet, this will need either an External IP address or a NAT'ed IP address accessable from the internet.

Make sure the firewall has port 52 open to you new DNS server

Have your Domain name registrar enter the host name and IP address of your new DNS server as the authoritative DNS server(s) for your domain.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 12:03 PM
  • Hi Sereno,

Thanks for posting here.

I found the articles in the link below may help you to start correctly set DNS for your exchange system:

Part Two

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997509(EXCHG.65).aspx

Meanwhile, For Exchange relate question, it is recommend you to get further support in the Exchange Forum so that you can get the most qualified pool of respondents.

Exchange Server Forums

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/exchangeserver/

Thanks for your understanding .

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:14 AM

But if you must:

Create a DNS server with the zone and records you require to be available to the internet, this will need either an External IP address or a NAT'ed IP address accessable from the internet.

Have your Domain name registrar enter the host name and IP address of your new DNS server as the authoritative DNS server(s) for your domain.

Actually, just thought I would mention, it's TCP 53 and UDP 53. You may have to check the firewall docs to insure it will allow EDNS0 (UDP traffic sbovr 512 bytes), too.

Some points to add:

• The Registrars require a minimum of 2 Hostname Servers (DNS servers) per zone.
    • Therefore, two separate servers, or two virtual servers, are required.
    • It's required to have a business class ISP line to allow inbound requests. Check with your ISP for more info.
    • It's required to have two external static IPs for the two servers. Check with your ISP for more info.
    • It's recommended to have 24/7 electrical backup power.

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:17 AM

All replies

• Hello,

for what reason do you need an external DNS server? Configure the domain internal one to use the ISPs one and your done.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

But if you must:

• Hi Sereno,

Thanks for posting here.

I found the articles in the link below may help you to start correctly set DNS for your exchange system:

Part Two

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997509(EXCHG.65).aspx

Meanwhile, For Exchange relate question, it is recommend you to get further support in the Exchange Forum so that you can get the most qualified pool of respondents.

Exchange Server Forums

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/exchangeserver/

Thanks for your understanding .

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:14 AM

But if you must:

Actually, just thought I would mention, it's TCP 53 and UDP 53. You may have to check the firewall docs to insure it will allow EDNS0 (UDP traffic sbovr 512 bytes), too.

Some points to add:

• The Registrars require a minimum of 2 Hostname Servers (DNS servers) per zone.
    • Therefore, two separate servers, or two virtual servers, are required.
    • It's required to have a business class ISP line to allow inbound requests. Check with your ISP for more info.
    • It's required to have two external static IPs for the two servers. Check with your ISP for more info.
    • It's recommended to have 24/7 electrical backup power.

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:17 AM
  • Thank you. Let me test it with this information and with the information that i have. Thanks
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:00 AM
  • Let us know how it works out.

Ace

Ace Fekay

Monday, November 15, 2010 7:13 AM