Can a SharePoint 2003 List be saved as a template and applied to 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to save a document library as a template with content in sharepoint 2003 and then create a library in 2010 with that template. Its uploaded into the list template gallery in 2010, but is not an option when i create a new library.

Is this possible?

Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:37 PM

Answers

• John is quite right but to add a little information on this.  The STP file is technically just another form of .CAB, inside of which is an XML file that will identify what version of SharePoint the template can be used with.  If you REALLY wanted to try and make the two work, you could convert into CAB, make the change and then change back.  (Warning, it can be a pain if you´re not sure how).

Alternatively, document library level templates only had a 20MB content storage limit, so I suspect that if you don´t have a lot of content, you can easily move the stuff manually.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

• Proposed as answer by Paul Turner _ Friday, May 11, 2012 12:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Zach Welding Friday, May 11, 2012 1:02 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 8:45 AM
    Answerer
  • To the best of my knowledge, that is not possible. I know that backups made with SP 2003 or 2007 are not compatible with 2010, nor are exports. And since the Export APIs use the same content migration functionality as the "Save as Template" functionality, I would expect that you're not going to be able to do it that way.

There may be a third party tool that can do that; I'm not aware of any off the top of my head that can take a 2003 list to 2010 but there are some that can do it for farms and sites so its possible one could provide that level of granularity. Otherwise you're going to have to follow the traditional 2003 to 2007 to 2010 upgrade path for that content to get it into 2010 without a manual migration through something like Windows Explorer.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

• Proposed as answer by Paul Turner _ Friday, May 11, 2012 12:37 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 3:20 PM

All replies

• To the best of my knowledge, that is not possible. I know that backups made with SP 2003 or 2007 are not compatible with 2010, nor are exports. And since the Export APIs use the same content migration functionality as the "Save as Template" functionality, I would expect that you're not going to be able to do it that way.

There may be a third party tool that can do that; I'm not aware of any off the top of my head that can take a 2003 list to 2010 but there are some that can do it for farms and sites so its possible one could provide that level of granularity. Otherwise you're going to have to follow the traditional 2003 to 2007 to 2010 upgrade path for that content to get it into 2010 without a manual migration through something like Windows Explorer.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

• Proposed as answer by Paul Turner _ Friday, May 11, 2012 12:37 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 3:20 PM
  • John is quite right but to add a little information on this.  The STP file is technically just another form of .CAB, inside of which is an XML file that will identify what version of SharePoint the template can be used with.  If you REALLY wanted to try and make the two work, you could convert into CAB, make the change and then change back.  (Warning, it can be a pain if you´re not sure how).

Alternatively, document library level templates only had a 20MB content storage limit, so I suspect that if you don´t have a lot of content, you can easily move the stuff manually.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

• Proposed as answer by Paul Turner _ Friday, May 11, 2012 12:38 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 8:45 AM
    Answerer