Filtering dynamic hierarchy in PPS 2010 scorecard RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to filter a dynamic hierarchy in a scorecard, but using a filter causes the hierarchy to become flattened.  I'm wondering if this is possible or I'm just doing something wrong.  I can recreate this problem in AdventureWorks.

Using AW, I have a simple KPI and put it on a scorecard.  Then I drag a dimension like Product Category or Sales Territory to the scorecard and at design time see dynamic hierarchy I'm looking for - multiple levels and valid KPI values.  Very cool, actually.

Then I create either an MDX filter or a member select filter (tried both) to get a multi tree of the dimension I'm interested in.  In my dashboard I create a connection between my filter and the scorecard.  I've tried a variety of connection filters (no filter, <<UniqueName>>, descendants(), hierarchize(), etc) but each time I see my scorecard populated with the correct rows and values but the hierarchy (drill down with the plus/minus) is lost, it's all flat.

I'm hoping I'm just doing this wrong somehow and the effect I'm after is possible.  Any thoughts as to whether this is a valid expectation or thoughts on how to get it to work?  Thanks.

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:12 PM

Answers

• I see the expand/collapse (+/-) initially, but once a filter is connected to the scorecard that is lost just as you are stating.  I do not see anyway to get the expand/collapse to generate when a filter is passing values.  You can still get the drill up and drill down functionality, but that is about it.  When the filter is connected to the members it will be flattened out.

In order to get the drill up and drill down you do need to setup the filter connection to the hierarchy though, and not just the row or column axis.  If you simply map to the row or column axis you will not get the drill up or drill down functionality.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Friday, September 23, 2011 12:15 AM

All replies

• I see the expand/collapse (+/-) initially, but once a filter is connected to the scorecard that is lost just as you are stating.  I do not see anyway to get the expand/collapse to generate when a filter is passing values.  You can still get the drill up and drill down functionality, but that is about it.  When the filter is connected to the members it will be flattened out.

In order to get the drill up and drill down you do need to setup the filter connection to the hierarchy though, and not just the row or column axis.  If you simply map to the row or column axis you will not get the drill up or drill down functionality.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Friday, September 23, 2011 12:15 AM
  • I have the same problem with column level. I tried using hierarchy also but no luck. All the time i am losing expand/collapse (+/-) functionality. I have SP1 also.

Any pointer will be helpful for me.

Thanks in advance.

Abhi-PPS

Abhi-PPS
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:49 AM