Public Folder Access Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Running Exchange 2010 with rollup 22.  Having a strange issue with Public Folders.  Started having issues accessing mail folders and calendars in the PF hierarchy.  User has full administrative access and has the client permission of owner.  I can expand folders, but when I click into a folder, I receive the following error: "Outlook cannot display this view.  You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object.  See the folder contact or your system administrator."

At first I though this was an Outlook issue.  But I am having varying results depending on the Operating System.

Windows 10 with Outlook 2016 - Error

Windows 10 with OWA - mail folders appear.  Calendars show error. "You don't have permission to perform this action."

Windows 2008 - Outlook 2010 - no issues.

Windows 2016 with Outlook 2016 - no issues.

Windows 2016 with OWA -  mail folders appear.  Calendars show error. "You don't have permission to perform this action."

Tried to research issue, but can't narrow it down enough.  Anyone seen this before?

Thursday, September 20, 2018 10:43 PM

Answers

• Is this happening with all calendar public folders?

If it's just one, try making a new folder, copy everything to it including permissions, and then see if that one works.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by Manu Meng Friday, September 21, 2018 9:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by john_0987 Monday, September 24, 2018 9:56 PM
    Friday, September 21, 2018 5:48 AM

All replies

• Is this happening with all calendar public folders?

If it's just one, try making a new folder, copy everything to it including permissions, and then see if that one works.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Proposed as answer by Manu Meng Friday, September 21, 2018 9:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by john_0987 Monday, September 24, 2018 9:56 PM
    Friday, September 21, 2018 5:48 AM
  • Interesting.  In all cases, I can't create a folder.  I should have full administrative permissions.  
    Monday, September 24, 2018 9:13 PM
  • Your suggestion brought back a memory of denying Top-Level Public Folder Creation.  Sure enough, looking at the permissions of the Public Folder Object in ADSIEdit I saw the deny permissions I had put in awhile back.  Removing it made my access issues from Windows 10 go away.  Not sure why this restriction would have varying results depending on the Windows OS.  

Thanks!

Monday, September 24, 2018 9:59 PM
  • You're welcome.  Happy to have helped.

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 2:15 AM