none
Data Protecton Manager 2012 installation on Hyper-V Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I have a question.

I have two node Hyper-V CLuster and are now going to deploy DPM 2012.

So can we keep dpm vm on Hyper-V Cluster?

is this supported or  Not????

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Afsand,

DPM on a cluster Node is not supported.

DPM is designed to run on a dedicated, single-purpose server. The DPM server should not be installed on any of the following:

• A computer on which the Application Server role is installed.
    • A computer that is an Operations Manager management server
    • A computer on which Exchange Server is running.
    • A computer that is a cluster node.

Documented here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758176.aspx

Regards,

Siddharth Jha

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:37 PM
  • You can run DPM inside a VM.

But I would not recommend it, because what do you do in case the cluster completely fails on both nodes? In this case you have to set up a new DPM, importing Tapes and so on, which takes a lot of time.

I suggest you to use dedicated hardware with dedicated disk storage and tape at the end. The Hardware does not need to be the newest one, but I suggest that support from the hardware vendor should be available for that old hardware.

Kind regards, David

Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:17 AM
  • Thanks Siddharth,

Sunday, April 20, 2014 5:49 AM
  • Hi David,

Well DPM is supported inside VM but not as single node on Hyper-V Cluster, as if Hyper-v Cluster service goes down my dpm will not responding.

what if i use multiple DPM.Like Primary and 2ndry Server.because it is the client requirements they need in HA.

i have following scenrios.

SQL Cluster

VM01 -Primary DPM

VM02-2ndry DPM

Can you guide me how will they protect each other.

is there any need to protect SQL Cluster DBs from both the nodes.

Sunday, April 20, 2014 5:54 AM
  • "Can you guide me how will they protect each other."

Back up DPM using a secondary server

"is there any need to protect SQL Cluster DBs from both the nodes."

You can protect one DB from cluster.

Have a nice day !!!

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:43 AM
  • Hi Asfand,

I apologize that I did not know that a single VM is not really supported. So you are best way to check the proposed link to use a secondary DPM server.

At this time  I want to suggest that a backup server (regardless which one, dpm or any other) should not be running as a VM. What happens, when your storage subsystem fails? You do not have any access to your backup data. Also a second DPM server on the same storage will not help you out of this.

I recommend using a dedicated hardware server with any kind of tape attached for a backup server. The hardware should be supported by the vendot to get spare parts in case you need them. So you are independent from the data to be backed up.

Kind regards, David

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 3:53 PM
  • Thanks David....But I will keep Secondary DPM on Separate Storage mounted from SAN...

N well SAN is not my responibility....SAN responsibility is of Client..ONly I have to tell them that I need these storage Mounting point....

I will create separate data store for each vm...similarly for DPM data backup...Is that will work good...

VM1-Separate Data Store= DPM Server Primary installed

Backup all VMs in my infrastructure

DPM DBs or on SQL Cluster and is protected by VM1-Primary DPM

VM2-Separate Data Store=DPM Server 2ndRy Installed=Protecting only VM1-Primray DPM Server

Am I going well..

• Edited by Asfand yar Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:02 AM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 12:38 PM
  • Thanks David....But I will keep Secondary DPM on Separate Storage mounted from SAN...

N well SAN is not my responibility....SAN responsibility is of Client..ONly I have to tell them that I need these storage Mounting point....

I will create separate data store for each vm...similarly for DPM data backup...Is that will work good...

VM1-Separate Data Store= DPM Server Primary installed

Backup all VMs in my infrastructure

DPM DBs or on SQL Cluster and is protected by VM1-Primary DPM

VM2-Separate Data Store=DPM Server 2ndRy Installed=Protecting only VM1-Primray DPM Server ,not SQL DBs

Am I going well..

Sunday, June 1, 2014 6:40 AM