Icon issue after uninstalling App-V client RRS feed

• Question

• When an application has multiple open windows the operating system stacks them in the taskbar which causes the icon for the app in the taskbar to appear broken.  Like a missing file type assocation.  This has happened on every machine that has had the App-V client installed and then eventually uninstalled.  During the installation of the client, all of the apps that are now being used locally were at that time sequenced, like Office, Adobe, etc.  The issue does not appear until apps are stacked in the taskbar.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:05 PM

Answers

• I think I know the effect that OP described..

AFAIK it has been like that "always" and while it's annoying it's also harmless.

Basically what happens is that individual application icons switch to generic icon when Windows taskbar icon grouping kicks in for multiple instances of the same virtualized application running. I guess it's something to do with the way Explorer queries those icons while in grouping mode, maybe by trying to access EXEs themselves, which it cannot do (obviously) since it's not running inside each VE.

/Kalle
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:26 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I am really confused...

so; at the moment you have;
    No app-v client
    No sequenced applications (they were removed before you uninstalled?)
    and all the applications that were previously app-v:ed are now showing funky icons - not when showing up in the taskbar, but after they are all stacked together?

/Znack
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:28 PM
  • Hello,

I am really confused...

so; at the moment you have;

No app-v client
    No sequenced applications (they were removed before you uninstalled?)
    and all the applications that were previously app-v:ed are now showing funky icons - not when showing up in the taskbar, but after they are all stacked together?

/Znack

No app-v client - true
    No sequenced applications (they were removed before you uninstalled?) - true
    and all the applications that were previously app-v:ed are now showing funky icons - not when showing up in the taskbar, but after they are all stacked together? - true

The only twist is that if the user has multiple IE windows open and they stack, that stack also loses it's icon.  IE was not sequenced but many plugins/addons were.

Thanks
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:34 PM
  • Hello,

From what I know the text of the group items comes from the .exe. I am assuming that .exe files also are showing the generic icon.

There is a different issue in this forum in regards to those types of icons beeing generic, and I believe it was due to the user setting a NONE association to an app-v FTA.

Perhaps there is something left after the uninstallation that might relate to this?

/Znack
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:42 PM
  • I think I know the effect that OP described..

AFAIK it has been like that "always" and while it's annoying it's also harmless.

Basically what happens is that individual application icons switch to generic icon when Windows taskbar icon grouping kicks in for multiple instances of the same virtualized application running. I guess it's something to do with the way Explorer queries those icons while in grouping mode, maybe by trying to access EXEs themselves, which it cannot do (obviously) since it's not running inside each VE.

/Kalle
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:26 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 9:25 AM