none
Unable to connect to most VMs from Hyper-V Manager

Question

• Hey Everyone,

I've had a weird issue crop up today (it could have happened any time in the last week really - I've seen some people say something similar happened to them around daylight savings time - which certainly matches up with the timing as I don't believe I have had occasion to connect to them since prior to DST starting).

We have 7 VMs running under Server 2016 Core Hyper-V.  Of those 7, I am only able to successfully connect to 1 of them from the Hyper-V manager.  All the others return an immediate error "Cannot connect to the virtual machine.  Try to connect again. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator. Would you like to try connecting again?"

The VMs are a mixture of 2012 R2 Standard, and 2016 Standard.  The only one I am able to connect to is 2016.  However, another two I can't connect to are also 2016.

I am able to use RDP to connect to all of them except the DCs.  The DCs will not respond to RDP requests either.  I am able to manage them with Server Manager, and I am able to connect to them using the Computer Management tool.  

All of these were working a week and a half ago with no problems. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Brad

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:43 AM

Answers

• Leo,

No there were no hardware or network changes, and no new software, etc.  There were no warnings,errors, etc. in the event log on the Hyper-V server, but I didn't think to check each of the VMs.

I was able to resolve the issue late last night by issuing an emergency maintenance window and rebooting the Hyper-V server.  I'd still love to know what could have caused this (if anyone else has ever experienced this), but the problem is fixed for the mean time.The really confusing thing to me is why I could still access one of the VMs, but not the other 6.

Thanks,

Brad

• Proposed as answer by Leo HanModerator Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brad Faler Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:10 PM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Brad,

Did you make any changes before the issue happen?

Are there any related Hyper-V events and errors?

Are there any other applications installed?

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 5:58 AM
  • Leo,

No there were no hardware or network changes, and no new software, etc.  There were no warnings,errors, etc. in the event log on the Hyper-V server, but I didn't think to check each of the VMs.

I was able to resolve the issue late last night by issuing an emergency maintenance window and rebooting the Hyper-V server.  I'd still love to know what could have caused this (if anyone else has ever experienced this), but the problem is fixed for the mean time.The really confusing thing to me is why I could still access one of the VMs, but not the other 6.

Thanks,

Brad

• Proposed as answer by Leo HanModerator Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brad Faler Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:10 PM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:02 PM
  • Hi Brad,

Glad to hear the issue was solved.

>> I'd still love to know what could have caused this (if anyone else has ever experienced this), but the problem is fixed for the mean time.

The issue seems random and may be difficult to tell the reason.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:57 AM