locked
DNS Error while joining the machine to domain. RRS feed

  • Question

  • I get the below error while joining a new Win7 machine to the domain.

    I can ping and successfully resolve nslookup on both server and client machine.

    Both client and server (2008r2) are virtual machines, with private ip's on LAN...

    The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain magic.com:

    The error was: "DNS name does not exist."

    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

    The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.magic.com

    Common causes of this error include the following:

    - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

    - One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

    magic.com

    com

    . (the root zone)

    For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

    Looks like some problem with my DNS.

    Also i tried to uninstall/ re-install the DNS role.

    What should be the TCP/IP network configuration???


    System Security analyst at CapG

    Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:28 AM

Answers

  • Hi Muhammad,

    Thank you for the response.

    As you mentioned, yes, there was some issue with my DNS setup.

    I did some research, the primary server was not responding as it should. Also as said, i did try to remove the role and readd it, which for some reason did not work. It was showing the old stale entries

    Later, i removed all the entries and the primary entries as well. The removed the role, restarted the server (oly 1 DC) re-installed the role with AD integration. If in LAB, you can use "Secure and non-secure dynamic updates". 

    Also do a double check the network configuration when working on virtual PC's. In my case i had to tweak the n/w configurations as well.

    !!!BOOM!!!... issue resolved :-).


    System Security analyst at CapG

    • Marked as answer by Tushar_1985 Friday, March 14, 2014 4:18 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tushar_1985 Friday, March 14, 2014 4:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tushar_1985 Friday, March 14, 2014 4:19 AM
    Friday, March 14, 2014 4:18 AM

All replies

  • I get the below error while joining a new Win7 machine to the domain.

    I can ping and successfully resolve nslookup on both server and client machine.

    Both client and server (2008r2) are virtual machines, with private ip's on LAN...

    The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain magic.com:

    The error was: "DNS name does not exist."

    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

    The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.magic.com

    Common causes of this error include the following:

    - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

    - One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

    magic.com

    com

    . (the root zone)

    For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

    Looks like some problem with my DNS.

    Also i tried to uninstall/ re-install the DNS role.

    What should be the TCP/IP network configuration???


    System Security analyst at CapG

    Also something to look in, i do not have the usual folders below 'Forward lookup zone', i.e, Sites, Home, tcp etc..

    I beleive these are required. I am not sure.!!. I did re-install the role, no change :-(


    System Security analyst at CapG

    Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:52 PM
  • Hi Tushar,

    Yes the DNS is not configures properly. You don't have any primary zone for your domain. Right click on Forward Lookup Zones and select New Zone.

    Select Primary and check Store in AD option.

    Not sure how many DC's do you have in your network but you can leave the rest options as default.

    Update me once you have the DNS sorted.

    Thanks

    Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:53 PM
  • Hi Muhammad,

    Thank you for the response.

    As you mentioned, yes, there was some issue with my DNS setup.

    I did some research, the primary server was not responding as it should. Also as said, i did try to remove the role and readd it, which for some reason did not work. It was showing the old stale entries

    Later, i removed all the entries and the primary entries as well. The removed the role, restarted the server (oly 1 DC) re-installed the role with AD integration. If in LAB, you can use "Secure and non-secure dynamic updates". 

    Also do a double check the network configuration when working on virtual PC's. In my case i had to tweak the n/w configurations as well.

    !!!BOOM!!!... issue resolved :-).


    System Security analyst at CapG

    • Marked as answer by Tushar_1985 Friday, March 14, 2014 4:18 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tushar_1985 Friday, March 14, 2014 4:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tushar_1985 Friday, March 14, 2014 4:19 AM
    Friday, March 14, 2014 4:18 AM
  • Hi,

    I’m glad to hear that you have resolved the issue and thanks for sharing your solution in the forum. This will help others who face the same scenario resolve the issue quickly. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will be very happy to help.

    Best Regards,

    Andy Qi


    Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

    Monday, March 17, 2014 11:38 AM