none
Which components of MIM 2016 can I install on the same Server in a LAB RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I want to learn more above MIM 2016 (with SP1) so I thought I would download the evaluation version and install it in a LAB.

However I see it needs Active Directory (already built a 2016 DC), an SQL Server, SharePoint, Exchange (options) as outlined here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-identity-manager/microsoft-identity-manager-deploy

First question is can I install the SQL Server on the same Server as SharePoint, or should I install SQL on the Domain Controller (its only a LAB) ?

I am used to setting up SQL, but not SharePoint, when it comes to installing SharePoint I take it I need to install the SQL Server first as SharePoint will likely want a database ? 

Also with the SharePoint installation do I just perform a basic next, next, next installation e.g. accepting the default ?

Thanks

CXMelga

Saturday, September 15, 2018 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In my labs in the past I have mostly a 3 VM setup:

1 Server: DC, SQL, SharePoint, MIM Sync, MIM Portal/Service

2 Server: Exchange (for testing EX2016 Provisioning) currently I use an Exchange Online

3 Client: Windows 10 (For the SSPR and other scenarios)

You can go straight through the document you mentioned and install all components as described there. The docs are only sufficient for an demo lab, you want it a bit more secure, and other things on a prod system.

You can install the components on Server 1 like is described and in that order, but that is also documented in the deployment guide.

I think for an lab and if you have limited machine power you can install SQL in the DC.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

Saturday, September 15, 2018 1:58 PM
  • Thanks very much Peter, much appreciated :)

CXMelga

Saturday, September 15, 2018 3:10 PM