none
skipping computer name in customsettings.ini RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have recently taken over deployments at a small company and the previous admin is gone and didn't leave much behind for me.

They were using a USB drive to deploy all of their machines with the LiteTouch wizard.

When I go through the wizard most of the values are populated and I find those entries in the customsettings.ini file.

However, the computer name is populated already and not in customsettings.ini.  If I leave the populated host name and continue through the wizard the machine builds with the correct username that was populated in the wizard.

I am working on PXE booting the machines from my Linux TFTP server and everything works fine but I'm having problems keeping the hostname that is in the field in the wizard. (not sure how it's being put there if not in customsettings).  I added "skipcomputername" in the customsettings.ini file but it basically ignores the name that was in the wizard and leaves me with the winpe name.

I know if I add "skipcomputername" I have to provide a value for OSDcomputername but don't know what to enter there so it will retain the username that is populated in the wizard.

I hope this makes sense and I'm digging around as much as I can.

Thanks in advance all,

Rob

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 7:15 PM

All replies

• Rob,

Check if there is a connection with a database from within MDT. Go to advanced configuration there you will find a referral to the database options.

Next adding "SkipComputerName" isn't going to cut it alone, this property needs a value, either a yes or a no. Depending on what you enter the wizard page is skipped. This works the same for all other wizard pages.

Providing the property: "OSDComputerName=Name_of_your_Computer" will specify the same name for each deployment that you do with MDT. So it could be possible the previous admin has used an database, which creates a link between the hostname and mac-address of the machine.

To get you started interpreting the customsettings.ini and bootstrap.ini and how to automate it even more, check this site: http://systemscenter.ru/mdt2012.en/propertydefinition.htm this site shows all the properties that can be used within customsettings.ini and the great thing about the properties is that they can also be used as a task sequence variable to put conditions on certain steps.

Next google for some customsettings.ini and bootstrap.ini examples, I'll bet you'll encounter my own blog amongst other good examples. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask!

Good luck!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Marked as answer by Keith GarnerMVP, Moderator Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:35 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by rob.irvin Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by rob.irvin Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:01 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by rob.irvin Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:01 PM
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:45 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I was using Skipcomputername=YES  Forgot to mention that.

It doesn't look like it's using a database.  I can see that it has a prefix and then using part of the serial number off of the machine.  However looking at some different makes and models it is pulling different parts of it for the hostname suffix.  I'm sure I could add something in the customsettings to do the same thing, but I just wanted to leave it alone and not mess with it.  I'm still digging and thanks for your suggestions.

Rob

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 11:13 PM
  • Can post up your customsettings.ini file?
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:30 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I was using Skipcomputername=YES  Forgot to mention that.

It doesn't look like it's using a database.  I can see that it has a prefix and then using part of the serial number off of the machine.  However looking at some different makes and models it is pulling different parts of it for the hostname suffix.  I'm sure I could add something in the customsettings to do the same thing, but I just wanted to leave it alone and not mess with it.  I'm still digging and thanks for your suggestions.

Rob

If you have different make and models then there is no way you will get your naming convention uniformed, since the serial number of HP for instance differs from the Service Tag or serial number used by Dell. There is no way this can be automated without a script that fills up a hostname with 0's (zeroes) or other characters if the hostname does not meet the desired number of characters.

So prefix with %SerialNumber% or a part of the serial number sounds good to me. Why'd you want to change it?

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:52 AM
  • It's a small company but they are determined to use that naming convention.  They have a few offices and when you go through the wizard, the choices you make along the way determine the machine name generation.  So I checked it out and found the code is in the Deploywiz_validation.vbs file.

I am guessing that as you proceed through the wizard it is setting the variables in the variables.dat file.

Then when the computer name page appears it is auto populated with the machine name using the code in the .vbs file.  I'm sure i have options and was thinking I could call that section of code from the customsetting.ini file but I don't think it would change the variable in the variables.dat file.  I'll probably have to find another way to do it, and maybe I'm just over thinking this.  

Rob

Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:01 PM
  • Have you reviewed the task sequence steps to see if there is a custom step that has been added to modify the variable? The naming convention could be placed in customsettings.ini using make, model, serial manipulations based on ztigather. It would be helpful to see the existing customsettings.ini
    • Proposed as answer by Ray Bury Sunday, March 16, 2014 1:25 PM
    Friday, March 14, 2014 12:52 AM