UNC trouble RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if I'm in the right spot, but maybe someone can re-direct me to the right place to post this thread. 

We recently setup a new network for a company we consult for and I'm not sure why this error is occuring.  I'm logged in as domain admin. and can't UNC to the c$ share of another server on the network.  It could be a dns issue, but I don't see the problem and have configured dns similar to other networks.  When I try from server A to get to server B I get "the network name does not exist" and when I try from Server B to Server A I get a long delay before getting an error.  No firewall is configured on the servers. 

The reason I need this to work is that I am using backup-exec and it uses unc shares to backup documents to itself.  It is not a backup exec problem as the error happens when I try to do it outside of backup-exec. I also need to xcopy files in certain situations and I believe it is causing problems.  I will follow with more details, but I just wanted to get the original thread started.  I can see the c$ share (which is default for server 2003) in computer management- shares.

From Server A I can ping netbios name and dns resolves full machine dns name and pings the IP of server B
    From Server A I try to do start>run> \\servername\c$ and get "the specified network name is no longer available"
    and \\servername.domainname.local\c$ and I get "no network provider accepted the given network path"  I can UNC to \\IP_of_serverB\c$ to see the files.

From server b I can ping server A by machine name and it resolves to servername.domain.local and the IP address of that machine.
    From Server B when I do \\serverA\c$ it takes about 5 minutes longer than it should take and then displays the file structure.

I have tried to disjoin and rejoin server A to the domain and it did not help.

Thanks
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This forum is for System Center Remote Operations Manager related issues. For this question, I think the best resource is the following Microsoft public newsgroup:

Windows Server 2003 Newsgroups
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb841405.aspx

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:17 AM