none
DPM2012 Synch or Recovery Point taking hours RRS feed

• Question

• We had DPM2010 working fine in our environment for a couple of years.

The company decided to go to Server2012 and DPM2012 SP1.

The new DPM server is 2 quad cores and 64G of RAM which is about 4 times the resources the DPM2010 server had.

The network is not the issue as I can copy/paste a 6Gb file in about a minute and a half.

All PGs were set up exactly as the 2010 setup

The majority of the PGs run without issue(major ones anyway) but one PG is another story.

The majority of this PG will take hours to make a backup to disc. (4 hours for 3Gb of data transferred on one member but 10Gb in 40min on another in the same PG) This is a SQL PG that has 12 SQL servers and 245 total members (DBs and drives). About 6-7 random DBs throught all these servers will make normal recovery points, the rest all fail and then fail going to tape as well and says that a recovery point running long caused the failure to tape.

The only error message we are getting on the DPM server is...

The I/O writes cannot be held during the shadow copy creation period on volume blah blah blah

Event ID 12298 and 12310

No errors are reported on the individual servers and checking the backups shows that all are being created on the server itself just not moving to DPM for some reason. Technically I guess they are moving but at less than 1 hour per Gb and since we need to make backups of several Tb this might as well be not moving.

Any thoughts would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:49 AM

All replies

• Hi

Have you tried to reboot one of the servers that you backing up? Does this make a difference at all?

Monday, August 11, 2014 5:20 AM