none
Azure Backup Server - Online recovery is not showing recent backups even though they successfully completed RRS feed

• Question

• When I attempt to do a file recovery from an online recovery vault (Via add external DPM), I can use the calendar to browse to a required date, but when I browse to the required file/folder to recovery the date is showing as 15/02/19.  I have been doing daily/weekly/monthly backups since then without issue.  Also if i right-click the file and click "Show all recovery points" the console crashes.

I also know that I have done successful restores of some files since 15/02/19 and i'm sure they would have had dates later than 15/02/19.  The SQL DBs appear to backing up correctly (i.e they show the correct datetime).

The environment is WS2012R2 with MABSv3 (v13.0.415.0), backing up a few SQL2016 DBs, files hosted on two WS2016 VMs, and the MABS DB itself.  

Azure backup agent is 2.0.9167.0 (I updated from v2.0.9127.0 today whilst investigating).

I have ensured windows is updated (via WSUS and direct to MS Update), rebooted a few times with affect.

There is plenty of spare disk space on all disks.

I also ran a cmd "DPMSYNC -sync", which did nothing but caused the replicas be become inconsistent and require a consistency check.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:52 PM

All replies

• Here's the error from the event for when I click "Show All recovery points";

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSDPM
    Date:          09/07/2019 14:55:29
    Event ID:      999
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      **SERVER-FQDN**
    Description:
    The description for Event ID 999 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

An unexpected error caused a failure for process 'mmc'.  Restart the DPM process 'mmc'.

Problem Details:
    <FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>09/07/2019 13:55:29</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>IndexOutOfRangeException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>Index was outside the bounds of the array.</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.RecoveryPage.AllVersionsDlg..ctor(RecoverableObject selectedRecoverableObject)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.RecoveryPage.ShowAllVersionsTask.OnTaskClick(Object e, EventArgs arg)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message&amp; m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message&amp; m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message&amp; m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message&amp; m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)</ExceptionDetails></FatalServiceError>

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="MSDPM" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">999</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-07-09T13:55:29.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>24919</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>*SERVER-FQDN*</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>An unexpected error caused a failure for process 'mmc'.  Restart the DPM process 'mmc'.

Problem Details:
    &lt;FatalServiceError&gt;&lt;__System&gt;&lt;ID&gt;19&lt;/ID&gt;&lt;Seq&gt;0&lt;/Seq&gt;&lt;TimeCreated&gt;09/07/2019 13:55:29&lt;/TimeCreated&gt;&lt;Source&gt;DpmThreadPool.cs&lt;/Source&gt;&lt;Line&gt;163&lt;/Line&gt;&lt;HasError&gt;True&lt;/HasError&gt;&lt;/__System&gt;&lt;ExceptionType&gt;IndexOutOfRangeException&lt;/ExceptionType&gt;&lt;ExceptionMessage&gt;Index was outside the bounds of the array.&lt;/ExceptionMessage&gt;&lt;ExceptionDetails&gt;System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.RecoveryPage.AllVersionsDlg..ctor(RecoverableObject selectedRecoverableObject)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.RecoveryPage.ShowAllVersionsTask.OnTaskClick(Object e, EventArgs arg)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message&amp;amp; m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message&amp;amp; m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message&amp;amp; m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message&amp;amp; m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)&lt;/ExceptionDetails&gt;&lt;/FatalServiceError&gt;
    </Data>
        <Binary></Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 2:03 PM
  • Hello,

I'm not an Azure Backup expert, but it is like DPM under the hood so there isn't much difference, could you check the logs for more clues?

Azure Backup Server / DPM log location:

• C:\Program Files\Microsoft Azure Backup Server\DPM\DPM\Temp\MSDPMCurr.errlog

You can also upload the log to a OneDrive and share the link to it here.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 4:26 PM