Windows Explorer shows incorrect free space RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but I will ask my question anyway.  Here is a little background.  I have a new Lenovo Thinkpad T61p with a 90GB HDD.  Explorer shows 17.7 GB free.  However, if I open C:>select all>properties it shows only 39 GB in size.  Therefore I should have 51GB free, right?  This is really frustrating as I've tried defrag, scandisk (upon startup), scanned for viruses and spyware etc.  Nothing seems to correct this issue.  Where is all my free space going?  BTW this is Windows Vista Ultimate.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:30 AM

Answers

• Depends for what......Shadowstorage is where restore points are. As Vista now even stores previous versions of user created files, if you have everything on the same partition there could be quite a chunk of disk needed for this. My best advice is to delete all restore points, reset shadowstorage size to default, let things run for a week and see how much space was needed, then set the shadowstorage size to that. This based on my experience that restore points older than a week are seldom useful.
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 11:56 AM
  • I had a similar if not same problem and just resolved it. I run Windows XP, but the important part is that I have a Thinkpad, too.

Go to Start > All Programs > ThinkVantage > Rescue and Recovery.

A program window opens; go to the menu bar, and under "Advanced" select "Delete backups". Another window opens to show you all your backups; select the ones you want to delete. You can check your free space now in Windows Explorer to see if it's where you think you should be at.

You can set the schedule for backups and change where you want the backups to be saved (USB or network drive as opposed to hard disk drive, for example).

Hope this helps!
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 6:29 AM

All replies

• If the C drive is 39GB with 17.7 free, the other 50GB are either not formatted or on a hidden partition. Click the orb, type comp, choose computer management from the list, click on disk management in the left pane and see what the disk manager reports about your drive's configuration
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:26 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your post and Cyanna’s sharing!

Please also refer to the following article about volume shadow copy, which is a feature for system restore points:

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/decrease_storage_space-allocated_to_system_restore.htm

Besides, the hidden files and folders won’t be calculated if you didn’t show them via Folder Options.

Hope it helps!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:05 AM
  • I should have included another piece of information.  The 17GB free are after I've deleted the restore points.  Before I delete the restore points it shows only approx. 8 GB free.  

I believe I have hidden files set to be shown.  I will double check that.

Thanks for your help
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:12 PM
  • I have the same problem although I seemingly am missing 110gb of hard drive space.
    Friday, January 25, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Click the orb, type comp, choose computer management from the list, click on disk management in the left pane and see what the disk manager reports about your drive's configuration

Please also refer to the following article about volume shadow copy, which is a feature for system restore points:

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/decrease_storage_space-allocated_to_system_restore.htm

Besides, the hidden files and folders won’t be calculated if you didn’t show them via Folder Options.

We might be able to help you if you could provide some info on the results of the above steps. Usually some info about your set up is also helpful: OS, type of drive, partitioning, how many user accounts

Friday, January 25, 2008 7:45 PM
  •  cyanna wrote:
    If the C drive is 39GB with 17.7 free, the other 50GB are either not formatted or on a hidden partition. Click the orb, type comp, choose computer management from the list, click on disk management in the left pane and see what the disk manager reports about your drive's configuration

OK Here are the results.

Disk 0: (No volume name)  6.54 GB, Healthy (EISA Configuration)  SW_Preload C: 86.62GB Healthy (System Boot, Page File Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

There is only 1 user account on this computer, the OS is Windows Vista Ultimate, Hidden files are set to be shown.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 6:26 AM
  • Smartypants, something doesn't add up: in your first post you said the drive was 90GB. That means Windows should report a total size of 84GB or so for the whole disk. But from your answer the disk is 86.62 + 6.54 = 93.16 which should translate into a manufacturer reported size of 100 GB.
    Assuming the numbers you reported so far are correct, this kind of discrepancies are most often due to some form of hardware problem. As your PC is new, I think you'd best contact whomever you have the warranty with, as your tinkering with it might void the warranty.
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 11:07 AM
  • Thanks I found the 110gb in shadowstorage I resized this to around 10gb is that enough?
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 11:23 AM
  • Depends for what......Shadowstorage is where restore points are. As Vista now even stores previous versions of user created files, if you have everything on the same partition there could be quite a chunk of disk needed for this. My best advice is to delete all restore points, reset shadowstorage size to default, let things run for a week and see how much space was needed, then set the shadowstorage size to that. This based on my experience that restore points older than a week are seldom useful.
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 11:56 AM
  • I am having a similar problem I have a Lenovo X61 Tablet with Vista Buisness,

Hard disk total size: 106.61GB

According to Drive Properties Used space: 80.5GB

Total size of all files (including hidden + System): 39.0GB

Space allocated to shadow copies, Used: 10.593GB,  Max: 15.922GB

Clearly the numbers don't add up, I have run every disk check I can think of including, Check Disk, Disk Clean Up, Defrag, Registry Cleaner.

Any Ideas would be a great help.

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:18 PM
  • At the time, I was writing this I did not check out the link you gave us.

At least in one of its update, MS could give us some information about the  shadow copy thing. I mean I get the cocept but how does it work, where is the files being kept, for how long, and if the user feels confident to be up to date with his files can he get rid of the show copies. I know it is a very significant tool. It had saved me from a few disaster and obviously now, it brought me more. I have 320GB C and 320gb D  on my laptop dv9235nr but for some odd reason it shows that my used space is twice as much space as i have in there. I use folder and option features because i don't like hiddent files so i always show my hidden files, system files & folders, and even extensions so young guru tell me what is that about. how can we ask ms to configure shadow maybe on a different partition so we know it is there. Also that would help with the whole issues of size. i mean all my files says 19GB all together, because i just installed the OS and its drivers and a few important apps such as winrar, poweriso, magiciso(uif), and thats all of course all my updates are done. But i have played with all the vista updates, and so far they are not even 1gb all 2gether after installation. Of course , I dont have office, vs2005 or vs2008 so i am not getting any sp.
    Friday, March 7, 2008 2:01 PM
  •  

I'm having the exact same problem with the same PC as the original poster. It's a t61p with vista ultimate.

Hard drive is 93.16gb

partitions: 6.71gb EISA

c: = 86.45 GB

Right clicking on folders shows 36.41gb used. and in my computer I see only 7.94 gb free out of an 86.45gb partition, I should have 50.04 free

Something is not right, I checked shadow storage and it is only using 8.2 gb  which still would leave me with 42gb.

Is there anywhere else that vista keeps files?

Monday, March 10, 2008 6:03 PM
  • I had a similar if not same problem and just resolved it. I run Windows XP, but the important part is that I have a Thinkpad, too.

A program window opens; go to the menu bar, and under "Advanced" select "Delete backups". Another window opens to show you all your backups; select the ones you want to delete. You can check your free space now in Windows Explorer to see if it's where you think you should be at.

You can set the schedule for backups and change where you want the backups to be saved (USB or network drive as opposed to hard disk drive, for example).

Hope this helps!
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 6:29 AM
  • Thanks, I just removed 31 GB from my hard disk.

Saturday, March 15, 2008 1:30 PM
  •  halligalli5 wrote:
    I had a similar if not same problem and just resolved it. I run Windows XP, but the important part is that I have a Thinkpad, too.

Hope this helps!

This was the answer.  I had 40+ GB in back ups thanks to ThinkVantage.  I should have known.  I don't know why they even include ThinkVantage software.  It's been nothing but headaches.  It conflicts with my wireless configuration all the time.  It makes no sense to have windows and thinkvantage trying to control everything at the same time.  They just end up conflicting with each other and making nothing work.  Thanks again for this recommendation

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:51 AM