Where the RTC universal group should be created in Forest Preparation ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I am standing at the middle of upgrading from OCS 2007 R2 to Skype for Business 2015. I mention about upgrading (not migration and coexistence). My target is deploying new Skype for Business 2015 and then move current users from OCS 2007 R2 to new system.

My forest is one tree and includes 01 root domain  and 02 child domains. OCS 2007 R2 is running and all users are belong to a child domain. My OCS servers and Skype Server joined to that domain.

During time of Setting up Skype for Business, here is "Prepare current forest", the winzar will let me select where to create the RTC universal group. There are 02 options there: "Local domain" or "FQDN of another domain". I am stucking at there and don't know exactly, where should the RTC group be created? So far, all the OCS's RTC universal groups(old system) are on the child domain. Is there any impactions/prolem if I select the option to create the Skype's RTC universal groups at the same child domain with OCS's ? Or should I create it at Root domain?

Based on the information of technet, for lync 2013 only, I found:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lyncserver/lync-server-2013-running-forest-preparation.

there is a statement there: 

Enable-CsAdForest [-GroupDomain ]

If you do not specify the GroupDomain parameter, the default value is the local domain. If universal groups were created previously in a domain that is not the default domain, you must specify the GroupDomain parameter explicitly.

I am undertanding that I should input the FQDN of child domain to create RTC universal group there.

Is there any comment or your susguestion about it, please let me know.

Thank for any help!

Friday, May 10, 2019 11:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As OCS is already hosting in your environment, I think you need to run the “Enable-CsAdForest” with -GroupDomain parameter.  Here is a related KB:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2549544/lync-server-enable-csadforest-command-fails-in-a-multi-domain-active-d

According it, the Enable-CsAdForest Lync Server command has to be directed to the Active Directory Domain Services domain that hosts the pre-existing RTC Universal security groups for the forest.

Hope it helpful.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by N.N.Son Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:31 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2019 6:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As OCS is already hosting in your environment, I think you need to run the “Enable-CsAdForest” with -GroupDomain parameter.  Here is a related KB:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2549544/lync-server-enable-csadforest-command-fails-in-a-multi-domain-active-d

According it, the Enable-CsAdForest Lync Server command has to be directed to the Active Directory Domain Services domain that hosts the pre-existing RTC Universal security groups for the forest.

Hope it helpful.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by N.N.Son Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:31 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2019 6:22 AM
  • My question has already resolved. I tested on my lab and created RTC universal group on child domain by inputting the value : child.domain.com at the prepare forest step. So far, there is no problem with my current OCS server.

Thank for your answer

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:33 AM
  • You are welcome! Glad to see it is resolved.

If there is any other question, feel free to post.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:57 AM