none
Best Practices for Working Control Cycle When Working with My Tasks (2010) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

With server 2010, we would like to start working with My Tasks for resources to report their hours.

My specific question is whether we should define a control cycle, e.g.: 

1. Resources are allowed to report their time only on WED-FRI. They are not allowed to report time SUN-TUE

2. PM's and resources deal with approval and fixing time reports on MON

3. PM's update in Project Pro on TUE and publish the plan at the end of Tuesday

If I don't do that - I am heading toward data collision and discrepancies (resource reports one thing and PM updates another thing and one update overrides the other)?

In general, are there other best practices for working with My tasks?

Thanks,

Barak 

Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:15 AM

Answers

• Hi Barak,

Indeed you definitively need to put in place a workflow for the update/approval process. Then the big question is : should it be controlled by the tool or should this process stay at the human level?

I would advice to keep flexibility. If you force people to enter time on specific days and block it for the other days, you'll always have people on sick leave, vacation, training, meetings. That will anyway cause discrepencies, and prevent users to flexibilily enter their time.

What I would suggest would be to train users, coach them, send communication and best pratices. Among this, you can track the efficiency of your process through reports (Excel Services or SSRS) and ask for the top management to be actively involved. I strongly insist on this last point: having the top management looking at time reports will definitively help. Top management should be your first support.

This will take a learning curve, but it works!

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

• Marked as answer by Barak _ Bester Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:26 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:50 PM
  • Hi Kirtesh and Guillaume,

Thanks for the alighting answers.

I have one more question:

You both mention that user can report whenever they want, the important is when they submit.

My question is if discrepancies can't happen if PM updates his plan while a resource saves his reporting, e.g: the resource reports on a task that the PM deletes - aren't these hours lost?

Thanks,

Barak

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:14 PM

All replies

• Below mentined link will let you know the best practice for submitting task updates in project server 2010.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh694531(v=office.14).aspx

1. Resources are allowed to report their time only on WED-FRI. They are not allowed to report time SUN-TUE

--You can define a cycle that users must submit task update on Friday ( they can fill the actual in either daily basis and save it but they need to submit it on friday ) 

2. PM's and resources deal with approval and fixing time reports on MON

--Ideally PM needs to approve or reject on Monday and need to publish the project so that it will reflect in project plan it good for reporting.

You can also set auto approval rule for task updates.

3. PM's update in Project Pro on TUE and publish the plan at the end of Tuesday

---It depends on your environment and No of project,No of task update , No of resources. If you have enough infra then on Monday it self PM can publish the plan otherwise on Tuesday

You can also use PSI for auto publish for projects. it will over come the PM's load and manual error or delay. 

Thanks,

kirtesh

Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:45 PM
  • Hi Barak,

Indeed you definitively need to put in place a workflow for the update/approval process. Then the big question is : should it be controlled by the tool or should this process stay at the human level?

I would advice to keep flexibility. If you force people to enter time on specific days and block it for the other days, you'll always have people on sick leave, vacation, training, meetings. That will anyway cause discrepencies, and prevent users to flexibilily enter their time.

What I would suggest would be to train users, coach them, send communication and best pratices. Among this, you can track the efficiency of your process through reports (Excel Services or SSRS) and ask for the top management to be actively involved. I strongly insist on this last point: having the top management looking at time reports will definitively help. Top management should be your first support.

This will take a learning curve, but it works!

Hope this helps.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:50 PM
  • Hi Kirtesh and Guillaume,

Thanks for the alighting answers.

I have one more question:

You both mention that user can report whenever they want, the important is when they submit.

My question is if discrepancies can't happen if PM updates his plan while a resource saves his reporting, e.g: the resource reports on a task that the PM deletes - aren't these hours lost?

Thanks,

Barak

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Hi Barak,

Indeed you point out a tricky point. To adress it, you can use the option to force actuals coming only from PM approvals. Meaning that no actuals can be entered in the project plan.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:20 PM
  • To give you more information, this option can be set in "task setting and display" section (server settings), then "protect user updates" and "restrict updates to Project Web Access".

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-server-help/set-up-timesheets-and-task-status-HA010068094.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Barak,

Project server itself take care of the situation while the configuration you need to configure your pwa in such away so that Actuals comes only from PM approvals.

It means until unless Project manager will not approve the task update it will not go to project. Once PM approve th actual then it will go to Database and Publish the project then only it will reflect in the plan.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg982960(v=office.14).aspx 

configure as per link 

kirtesh

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:35 PM