none
'VM Name' Emulated Ethernet Port (Instance ID guid1): Failed to Power on with Error 'General access denied error' (0x80070005). (Virtual machine ID guid2) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The computer I am running Hyper V on just updated to Windows 10 1607 (it was already on Windows 10).
    I don't know if the upgrade is relevant, I only know I have not seen this issue before the upgrade.

I have 2 VMs that were/are in the "Saved" state.
    They each have the same virtual hardware configuration.
    One of the VMs starts fine since the Windows 10 upgrade but the other fails with:

'System Center 2012 Configuration Manager R2' Emulated Ethernet Port (Instance ID 718032DA-6EFB-4EF4-8152-9A2FBDA945BF): Failed to Power on with Error 'General access denied error' (0x80070005). (Virtual machine ID 4D142CBB-2286-4D79-AF58-44A5540581FA).

I have searched the internet and all the Hyper V 'General access denied error' information seems to relate to permissions on a virtual disk.

Does anyone know how to fix the 'General access denied error' for a "Emulated Ethernet Port"?

Thanks in advance.

Anthony LaMark

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:56 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:49 PM

Answers

• You need to delete the Saved State - which is the preserved memory state of the VM.

I can't recall if this is exposed in the GUI, seems like it was once.

Essentially, stop the VMMS (virtual machine management service) delete the .bin and .vsv files in the VM configuration folder, then start the VMMS again.

Hyper-V should pick up that there is no saved memory state.  Your VM will boot as if it had a power failure.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

• Marked as answer by ALaMark Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:14 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:02 PM

All replies

• Power off the VMs.

Use the "reset network' option under the network settings

create new virtual switches.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:56 PM
  • Hi Brian,

The VM is in the "Saved" state so in the UI, there is no option to power off.
    Do you know of a way to power off a VM that is in the saved state (perhaps a powershell script)?
    Thanks for the reply BTW.

Anthony LaMark

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 4:42 PM
  • You need to delete the Saved State - which is the preserved memory state of the VM.

I can't recall if this is exposed in the GUI, seems like it was once.

Essentially, stop the VMMS (virtual machine management service) delete the .bin and .vsv files in the VM configuration folder, then start the VMMS again.

Hyper-V should pick up that there is no saved memory state.  Your VM will boot as if it had a power failure.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

• Marked as answer by ALaMark Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:14 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:02 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Thanks, I found that info (yes, it is in the GUI).
    I still had no luck so I (without know if it would work :-) ) went to the previous checkpoint.
    The checkpoint booted...unfortunately, shame on me, it was old so I have spent the day patching....
    Thanks again for chiming in, I really appreciate it.

Tony

Anthony LaMark

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:14 PM
  • I had the same issue, was with legacy network adapters on a router VM that had been saved.

Removed the saved state - no good

Ended up needed to remove and re-add the virtual interfaces. That resolved the issue.

Was my post helpful? Help me help you by voting or making the post as an answer. If you're in Melbourne, Australia I regularly present at the Skype4B users group, Feel free to catch up.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 12:51 AM