none
turned on/off different strategies RRS feed

• Question

• When setting up a new protection group and selecting Hyper-V, different strategies are offered for turned on and off virtual machines. What will happen if I set up protection for a turned on virtual machine, and I turn it on later, or vice versa? The original strategy will not be available anymore?
    • Edited by fejesjoco Sunday, October 9, 2011 9:14 AM
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 9:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The description of "backup using child partition" and "backup using saved state" are just states reported by the Hyper-v writer at the time of protection and will not effect how future backup operations are performed.   If a VM is able to be backed up online at the time of protection, but cannot be in the future, then DPM will backup the VM regardless.   The only given is that the description in the DPM gui will never change once it's added to protection.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 9:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The description of "backup using child partition" and "backup using saved state" are just states reported by the Hyper-v writer at the time of protection and will not effect how future backup operations are performed.   If a VM is able to be backed up online at the time of protection, but cannot be in the future, then DPM will backup the VM regardless.   The only given is that the description in the DPM gui will never change once it's added to protection.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Thanks. It's a bit misleading though, so to be on the safe side, I'll turn on all VM's when I add them to protection, at least I won't have to explain the description to my managers :).
    Monday, October 10, 2011 10:50 AM