none
email flow RRS feed

• General discussion

• Can anyone give me an idea of why all of a sudden I am having issues accepting e-mails from Hotmail and Gmail users? We are using Exchange 2010 and to my complete knowledge nothing has changed on my server or firewall. As of a week ago I started getting reports that some of my clients were not receiving email from their customers of who some have either a Gmail or Hotmail address. Some were reporting that they would only get a bounce back  when those accounts would send an attachment with their email.

Here is the error that the Hotmail accounts would receive [This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed]

The Gmail accounts would receive this error: [Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently: Technical details of permanent failure: Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (5.1.1) (state 14)]

I started investigating this and thought it might be my Watchguard firewall but there appears to be no obvious blocks to these types of e-mails. So I have reviewed my logs in Exchange and I do not see any rejections in these logs. I have also performed a Best practice Analyzer on my Exchange and Mail Flow Troubleshooter and I received an error that does concern me but not sure what it exactly means. The errors are: Error submitting mail: Mail submission failed: Error message: The SMTP host was not specified.

I would like to also mention that this is very intermittent about receiving these emails. I have done some test emailing from my own Gmail and Hotmail accounts and at one time I may receive the email and then the next time I don't receive it and I will receive a bounce back error all over again. This is so puzzling to me.

Can someone please advise me or help me make sense of all this please. I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions on what I need to do to fix this.  Thank you kindly.

Kindest regards, TechGirl37
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:31 PM

All replies

• I'm pretty sure that 554 error is not being generated by Exchange.

Check any mail relays or firewalls for misconfiguration, and check your Internet DNS MX records to ensure that they're pointing to servers you own.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:13 AM
  • TechGirl37 - Did you find out what was causing this?  We just started having the same problem ourselves with a client.

Ironically - they are also using a Watchguard Firewall (I wonder if that is the cause)..

-Robert

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:38 PM