none
Project Center custom field based on current date RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

(PROJECT SERVER 2010)

i know that a custom field with formula must be updated in Project Center only republishing the project from Project Professional.

How can you configure an indicator in Project Center (simple in a excel report) to see which project are not updated for 10 days (for example).

Any suggestion or best practices to answer "Which Project are sleeping?"???

(I try with "Last Published" and "Last Modified" but i can't use them in a formula field)

Thanks

Daniele

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Danproject,

Unfortunately enterprise formula custom field will only be able to calculate and show the updated indicator when project will be published. publish of project basically flows the updated project data to published database for viewing and reporting.

in your scenario, your best bet would be to go for SSRS custom made report to help you find sleeping projects.

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Sunday, April 7, 2013 7:49 AM

All replies

• You can filter your view to show only "active" projects, and then sort or group on Last Published.  It won't give you a nice graphical indicator, but you will be able to know which projects are sleeping.

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Monday, April 1, 2013 10:06 PM
  • Hi Danproject,

you can try with putting [Last Update] in your formula field.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 2:49 PM
  • Hi Mario,

are you able to use [Last Update] in a Project custom formula field in Project Server 2010???

My feedback is:

The custom field could not be saved due to the
    following reason(s):

• This formula contains references to one or more fields that do not exist in
      the system. Correct the formula and try again.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:19 AM
  • Yes, it works for me. I don't know why do you get this message.
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:30 AM
  • Hey Mario,

you were right, the formula works.

My problems is just that Project Center do not calculate values if i do not republish the project and so i can't find those project sleeping.

I think the only solution is about reporting. :(

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:00 AM
  • Hi Danproject,

Unfortunately enterprise formula custom field will only be able to calculate and show the updated indicator when project will be published. publish of project basically flows the updated project data to published database for viewing and reporting.

in your scenario, your best bet would be to go for SSRS custom made report to help you find sleeping projects.

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Sunday, April 7, 2013 7:49 AM