none
Bug in "File History" leads to false reassurance RRS feed

• Question

• V 1803: 17134.523

1. What is the best channel to report such bugs? Are these forums monitored by actual MS developers or quality control peeps looking for trending issues?

2. See the screenshot.
    A standard Windows 10 notification appeared to the effect that my File History drive has been disconnected for too long and I should reconnect it to continue backing up my files (sorry, didn't get a pic nor copy the exact test before dismissing it ... could we not have a day or two's worth of notifications stored for reference in case of accidental dismissal - or even just "dismissed in the last hour" if you are concerned about space?)

So I typed into search: restore
    I click on "Restore your files with File History"
    (See the lower center window in my pic) it is showing me what looks like successfully backed up folders.
    I hit the "previous version" button and see other sets in today's date. ... it could be disastrous for anyone relying on this as an accurate representation! No indication of any problem here! 

Many average users won't think to doublecheck nor know how to, and may rely solely on this type of backup.

Checking File Explorer, my SD card is indeed not visible.

Now (upper right window in my pic) go to Control Panel->File History
    or (upper left window in my pic) go to Settings -> Backup->Backup with File History -> More Options

These 2 windows now show the true situation.

Friday, January 18, 2019 10:42 PM

Answers

• when the backup drive is disconnected, File History copies to a local drive instead.
    As soon as the backup drive is reconnected, it moves from the local staging area to the backup drive.
    so the date is correct: it was the last time a backup was made.

I don't remeber what the default place for the staging area was, but can be configured in
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config1.xml
    Saturday, January 19, 2019 10:26 AM

All replies

• when the backup drive is disconnected, File History copies to a local drive instead.
    As soon as the backup drive is reconnected, it moves from the local staging area to the backup drive.

I don't remeber what the default place for the staging area was, but can be configured in
    Saturday, January 19, 2019 10:26 AM
  • Hi OttIT,

Same as EckiS mentioned above, in the picture we can see that the files last copy occurred on 2019-01-17 9:02 PM. It seems that the file history drive is indeed disconnected, and those files haven’t been copied to this drive after the disconnection. You can aslo check and confirm in the drive if any files were copied after 2019-01-17 9:02 PM.

I have also tried the same situations on my test 1803 machine: manually backup files with file history drive disconnected, will trigger an error pop-up saying “Your files will be temporarily copied to your hard drive until you reconnect your File History drive and run a backup”; but the automatically backup operations as per configurated schedule(every 10 mins in my environment) will not trigger the pop-up error.

If any other questions, please feel free to post back. Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Best regards,

Zoe Mo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 21, 2019 9:57 AM
  • Hi OttIT,

What is your current situation? Have you tried the suggestions provided above? Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, any other questions please feel free to post back. Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Best regards,
    Zoe Mo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 9:42 AM

Thank you. That File history page needs some kind of banner waning alon the top with the “reconnect your drive” message ;)
    Friday, January 25, 2019 7:42 AM