none
MS Project 2013 Disappearing Task Names RRS feed

• Question

• I have read through other posts on the issue with disappearing task names and I haven't been able to find a true resolution.   This is Project Pro 2013 (not using Server) and has just begun occurring in a project created 2 years ago. I've tried all the other trouble-shooting/"fixes" and nothing has worked. When I saved the file as XML, I noticed that all of the affected "missing names" tasks had no line present for the Name in the record for the task.  In other words, the second line in the snippet below is totally missing and the ""<Active" line follows the "<ID" line.    

<ID>270</ID>
    <Name>TaskName</Name>

<Active>1</Active>

I know there was a bug in Project 2010 related to multi-Undo which was fixed, but is there any clue why this is still occurring in later versions of Project and/or how to resolve this?

Monday, April 15, 2019 4:32 PM

All replies

• Naomi,

First of all, let's make sure your version of Project 2013 is in fact fully updated. You should have version 15.0.5101.1000. If you do not have that version, run Windows Update.

From your description of the XML snippet, it looks like some corruption occurred on your file. If there are no other issues with the file, I suggest you re-enter the missing task names and save. Then save to XML and re-open the XML in Project. Hopefully that will clear any remaining corruption.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, April 15, 2019 5:32 PM
  • We will try this but I'd like to understand what can cause this type of corruption.  I've seen many other threads where this continues to occur and it seems a mystery. 
    Monday, April 15, 2019 11:40 PM
  • Naomi,

In all the years I've been using Project (2 decades), I've never has this issue. As far as what may be the cause we'd have to know more about how you are using Project (i.e. single user on a local drive, master/subprojects/resource pool, files on a server, type of editing, etc.) and in particular exactly what you were doing just prior to the problem occurring. Then we might have a chance to find a "cause".

By the way, what is your version number?

John

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:54 PM