Damage to Hardware Connected Through USB Interface in Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium... RRS feed

• Question

• On March 27, 2011, a solid-state disk drive (OCZSSD2-2C120G, SATA and USB, connected through its USB port to a DYNEX PCI USB 2.0, 4-port card to my MSI MS-6533E based, Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 1.5 GB DDR RAM, computer running Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, updated to current at the time.  The disk drive was mounted inside the computer and powered through the computer power supply.) had suddenly failed upon boot in the morning.  The drive had been working very satisfactorily in this system for nearly two years.  The 120 GB solid-state disk drive which had appeared in the system with the manufacturers part number (OCZSSD2-2C120G) now appeared as a 4 GB Flash drive with the drive ID "JMLoader", with no trace of the previous disk structure.  Trying to access the disk drive through its SATA port did not lead to anything different.    I had backed up the files on the drive several weeks before the failure with no new updates to them, so I did not lose any of the information stored on the disk.  The disk was under warranty for only a few weeks more, so I sent it to OCZ for warranty repair.  They replaced it with another of their products with the same capacity (SATA only, however), as the one I had sent them, was not manufactured anymore.

I had another device hooked up the same computer through one of its USB 1.1 ports on its motherboard:  An Artec E+48u USB scanner (a very cheap, but extremely accurate scanner that takes its power only through the USB.  It is based on GRANDTECH GT-6816 chip that is programmed to drive the scanner mechanism and handle the USB interface when its microcode is loaded) which was tested working on another of my computers with Microsoft Windows XP Professional with the supplied Windows XP driver software.  The Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium does not have drivers for this scanner and it does not make use of the existing Microsoft Windows XP Professional drivers.  However, it recognizes the scanner and installs it as a scanner with what appears to be a dummy driver.  The Artec E+48u scanner needs its microcode to be loaded (Artec48.usb) through its driver and through the same USB interface for it to work, and the Vista driver does not perform this action. I had left the scanner on the Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium system, until I resolved the driver problem.

Recently, I moved the scanner to my Microsoft Windows XP professional system to test it, only to find out that it had suffered the same fate as the OCZ drive, probably on the same day.  The GRANDTECH GT-6816 chip does accept the microcode and does respond to the subsequent USB requests correctly.  It does dump the scanner head as requested. However, it is unable to move the scanner head using its stepper motor and it is unable to turn the scanner light source (which is built into the scanner head) on.  A preliminary check on the tiny circuit board inside revealed that nothing is obviously burned out or shorted.  It seems that the TTL low-power step-pulses are not either not generated or blocked.  This does appear to be a malicious software caused hardware damage, as the machine that runs the Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium is the only one that interfaces to the internet.

Should you have experienced any of the symptoms above on similar hardware, please let me know.  In the meantime, I will analyze the situation in more detail and post the results later to this forum.

-- Yekta

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 11:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If it failed to install the Scanner driver on the Vista, you may try to install it in the compatibility mode. See Make older programs run in this version of Windows

Also, as you stated that the scanner also failed to use on the computer with Windows XP professional, it is recommended to contact the Scanner manufacturer to check if this is the hardware issue.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:59 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:37 AM

All replies

• Below is a picture of the entire control circuit of the Artec E+48u USb scanner.  The connector at the upper left corner is for the front panel switches (4 of them).  The connector at the lower left corner is for the ribbon cable that connects to the scanner head and the scanner light source.  The stainless steel looking connector near the 4" mark is the USB power and input/output connector.  The connector at the upper right corner is the stepper motor (geared down, with a timing belt to drive the scanner head under the glass platen) connector.  The black item at the lower right corner is the scanner head home location opto-interrupter.

This image is 22.25 percent x 22.25 percent reduced version of the original image (20+ MB), due to image size restrictions (<= 1024 kB).

-- Yekta

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:18 PM
  • The picture in my previous message has a storage size on the disk of 99 kB, but it expands to an actual picture with a display size of about 1 MB (697x377x4 bytes).  This forum actually takes images of storage size on the disk of <=1 MB.  So, here is the nearly full resolution image, with a display size of 2975x1611x4 which is close to a size of 20 MB:

-- Yekta

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

If it failed to install the Scanner driver on the Vista, you may try to install it in the compatibility mode. See Make older programs run in this version of Windows

Also, as you stated that the scanner also failed to use on the computer with Windows XP professional, it is recommended to contact the Scanner manufacturer to check if this is the hardware issue.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:59 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:37 AM