Applying default sharing and security permissions to system drive on Windows XP SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• I messed with the Sharing and Security permissions on a Windows XP SP3 workstation that was connected to a domain network (now part of a Workgroup network), because I wanted to share the entire Drive C:. So I applied permissions and security to all child objects and files.  I think I've really messed up some things.

I would like to restore all default sharing and security permissions to all the mandatory drives, folders and files on Drive C: that are either created by or required by Windows XP, including the user folders that are setup automatically. I've read that doing a repair install of the Windows system will accomplish this, but I don't really want to mess with uninstalling SP3, then going through the entire process of installing from the original CD of Windows XP SP1, applying SP2, and then installing SP3 again. 

Is there a reference somewhere that would guide me to setting the permissions manually?

Saturday, September 3, 2011 7:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

consider trying system restore or even restore from backup.

If that is not possible/working, try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222  Please do read the article, and not just try the command below!

"This article describes supported and unsupported methods to undo or rollback changes to the following elements:

· Permissions in the Registry, File System and Services.

For Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 computers, the “secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose” command is still supported in the very few scenarios where security settings need to be restored using the secsetup.inf template.

... "

"

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
    • Edited by SenneVL Sunday, September 4, 2011 7:08 AM
    • Proposed as answer by SenneVL Monday, September 12, 2011 3:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:12 AM
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 7:02 AM