none
SharePoint Onilne - Access Denied - When creating a Page in a folder under Pages Library

Question

• Hello,

I am having a issue with creating a page in a folder under the Pages library.  Here is the structure:

• Publishing feature is enabled
    • All the users have read permission on the site collection.  
    • There is a Pages library where unique permissions have been enforced.  Users have only read permission on the root of the folder 'Pages', but sub folder has contribute access for example Marketing folder.  The idea is that nobody should be allowed to create pages on the root of the 'Pages' library but they can create pages in the specific folders.

I have tried the giving contribute access (and also full control) to Master Page Gallery but this didn't resolve the issue. I think this issue is related to access with /layout/CreatePage.aspx. 

What works:

• If I give user contribute access to pages library, but that defeats the purpose as we want to block users creating pages on the root or any other folder except their own dept.

I would appreciate any help/guidance.

Thanks,

Sohail

sohail

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 4:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I am afraid that you must grant user contribute permissions on the root pages library to make the user can create pages on the folder.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by S Merchant Monday, January 11, 2016 11:19 AM
    Friday, January 08, 2016 2:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Sohail,

From your description, you offered op with read permission on the pages library and contribute permission on the folders of the pages library,  when creating a page in a folder under pages library, you got access denied error.

I can reproduce your issue.

It is by designer that only the user have enough permission on the pages library that he can create a page in a folder under pages library.

Because when we create a page in a folder under pages library, we actually create a page in the pages library, so if the user want to create a page in a folder under pages library, he must at least have contribute permission on the pages library.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:54 AM
  • Hi Lisa,  Thanks for this.  Is there any work around? i.e. a way to prevent users creating pages on the root of the Pages Library or other folders.  It is quite strange as you can create word/excel documents but not pages.  Giving contribute right on the Page Library means users can create pages into other dept folders (including root) which is not really ideal.

Thanks again!

Sohail

sohail

Thursday, December 10, 2015 9:34 AM
  • Hi,

I am afraid that you must grant user contribute permissions on the root pages library to make the user can create pages on the folder.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

• Marked as answer by S Merchant Monday, January 11, 2016 11:19 AM
    Friday, January 08, 2016 2:50 AM