Cleaning packages RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know if there is any documentation or tools to help cleaning packages?

I mean getting rid of unnecessary files or registry key that the sequencer put in the package for some reasons.

I found that it was easy to clean up small applications or well know softwares, but when it came to obscure apps that we never heard of, it's something else.

Thank you

Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:33 PM

Answers

• Hello,

My recommendation has been to never remove anything - unless you know why you are doing so.

Summary; If you don't have a reason to remove something, don't do it

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:39 PM
  • I beleive http://stealthpuppy.com/ had a tips list on what is a good idea to clean up, before.

The most obvious source of fluff in an App-V package is C:\Windows\Installer. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\RAC

REGISTRY\USER\ [{AppVCurrentUserSID}]\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

A good idea would be to do a dry run on your sequencing VM's and see what noise you can identify being captured. Maybe you'll notice a registry key for Adobe Distiller or something being captured in your sequences so you could exclude that and make a note of what you have excluded.

Also upon completion of the sequence it's a good idea to ensure there's no hardcoded paths with your username, machinename, a share or mapped drive letter etc.

Further to this, if you ever have an issue with an application not being able to find a file, folder, regsitry etc. you can always revert to the report.xml to see if it was excluded during sequencing. Sometimes you may exclude something that is required. Like Znack said, it's good to be sure!

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Edited by RorymonMVP Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:01 PM Updated to echo what Znack said also
    • Marked as answer by Sylvain M. Michaud Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:10 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:40 PM
  • As Znack says, don't remove anything; however I would add that you should create exclusions so that some specific areas aren't captured in the first place. You would, of course, then hopefully understand the impact of adding an exclusion, but that can be very dependent on the app and your specific environment.

Here's a rough idea on exclusions: http://stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/app-v-5-sequencer-template/. Use at your own risk - that is, test in your own environment before implementing with production packages.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hello,

My recommendation has been to never remove anything - unless you know why you are doing so.

Summary; If you don't have a reason to remove something, don't do it

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:39 PM
  • I beleive http://stealthpuppy.com/ had a tips list on what is a good idea to clean up, before.

The most obvious source of fluff in an App-V package is C:\Windows\Installer. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\RAC

REGISTRY\USER\ [{AppVCurrentUserSID}]\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

A good idea would be to do a dry run on your sequencing VM's and see what noise you can identify being captured. Maybe you'll notice a registry key for Adobe Distiller or something being captured in your sequences so you could exclude that and make a note of what you have excluded.

Also upon completion of the sequence it's a good idea to ensure there's no hardcoded paths with your username, machinename, a share or mapped drive letter etc.

Further to this, if you ever have an issue with an application not being able to find a file, folder, regsitry etc. you can always revert to the report.xml to see if it was excluded during sequencing. Sometimes you may exclude something that is required. Like Znack said, it's good to be sure!

• Edited by RorymonMVP Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:01 PM Updated to echo what Znack said also
    • Marked as answer by Sylvain M. Michaud Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:10 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:40 PM
  • As Znack says, don't remove anything; however I would add that you should create exclusions so that some specific areas aren't captured in the first place. You would, of course, then hopefully understand the impact of adding an exclusion, but that can be very dependent on the app and your specific environment.

Here's a rough idea on exclusions: http://stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/app-v-5-sequencer-template/. Use at your own risk - that is, test in your own environment before implementing with production packages.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:36 PM
  • OK thank you guys for the answers.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:08 PM
  • But I have some more interogations since I have a customer with high expectations who really wants us to clear all unnecessary stuff.

What would be the "quality" criteria, by importance, for delivered packages?

For example:

• to use your example, Is the Adobe Distiller RegKey harmfull?
    • is it a big deal to have RegKeys with no value?
    • etc.

From your point of view, what are the standard "quality" requirements to consider a package as clean enough to be delivered to a client?

Best regards

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:09 PM
  • What's their reasoning for wanting to clear unnecessary stuff? Ask for a technical justification, don't accept "because we want it that way". 

Using your example of the Adobe Distiller RegKey - I wouldn't have any idea until I tested the package or packages in the actual environment.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:44 PM
  • Virtual applications are isolated by their nature. So the registry will not have any impact on any local application or the local machine. It would only be seen within the virtual environment and the chances of it causing any issue at all is slim.

Personally I like to set a baseline. Go through 10 or so dry runs with the sequencer. Do the capture part but don't install anything and just allow it to run. Then see if anything got captured. If you are using a true vanilla machine you should not notice a whole lot. Anything you do, you could exclude. If it's a domain VM with apps loaded on top of it, you may notice some noise.

If it's a domain VM, it's also a good idea to ensure there's no policies enforcing an anti-virus, Windows Defender, Windows Search or Windows Updates. You will want those off because they will interfere with your sequencing.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:50 PM