I have a docking station with dual monitors attached. When I undock the laptop and dock it, everything displays on one monitor. Is there a way to have it remember the config? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a docking station with dual monitors attached. When I undock the laptop and dock it, everything displays on one monitor. Is there a way to have it remember the config? It's a pain having to move a bunch of windows and sticky notes back to the second monitor every time I dock the laptop. Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP

Friday, August 23, 2013 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is more or less by design.  If you never removed the laptop from the docking station, it would remember the settings.  But since you are changing your primary display to the external monitor (not unlike using only an external and closing the lid on the laptop), when you restart your computer out of the dock, it can't find where to display your desktop so it resets to the LCD display on the laptop (versus only getting a blank screen.)

The only real solution that I've found is to use the laptop as the primary display device.  The option to change your primary display is more intended for desktop systems that are never unplugged from the monitor.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:22 AM
  • I only have the issue while using my dual monitor setup. Is there anyway for it to save which monitor displays which program?

James A+, Network+, MCP

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:11 PM
  • Do you shut down your computer before you undock or just undock while he's still on/standby?

Don't forget about Alt+Esc!

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:31 PM
  • I shut down first.

James A+, Network+, MCP

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:10 PM