Event ID 4013: dns server active directory integration problem RRS feed

• Question

• What I am want to do:

Retire a Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller/DNS server.  It is very old and has a poorly designed system and too small hard drive.  My plan is to just unplug it and take it out of service.

Install a new Windows Server2008R2 as the Domain Controller/DNS server.  This is new equipment that will replace the 2003 box.

My plan is to set the new 2008 server with the same domain name in the hope that all of my clients will easily recognize it and log in seamlessly without my having to touch each one and add it to the domain.

My network:

1 server that is a domain controller and DNS server and 1 print server.  120 client computers, 100 users

What I have done so far:

Installed Windows Server 2008 R2 on new box with the same server name and domain name as the original 2003 server.  It has a different ip address. 

Installed AD DC, File Server and DNS Server roles

Set the Forwarders

Created a few users

Unplugged the old server

Left the printer server running (different box)

Plugged in the new server

DNS says it is started but it logs Event 4013 about synchronization with AD DC.

Problems:

Can't log to new server - errors vary but most frequent is that trust relationship does not exist for the client.

Can't activate Windows because "dns name does not exist"

Can't enter product id as it says it is not valid

I have read and redone the instruction for event 4013 I practically have them memorized.  I have done multiple restarts and checked to make sure DNS is runnint (it is) and that there are no conflicting IP's' 

I haven't a clue as to what to try next but my boss expects me to have this server running by next week.

Help!

Vicki L. Conover

Saturday, August 11, 2012 12:35 AM

Answers

• Please refer to these:

Troubleshooting DNS Event ID 4013: The DNS server was unable to load AD integrated DNS zones 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2001093

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Miya

Miya Yao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, August 24, 2012 6:46 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 9:32 AM

All replies