view-admin - Unexpected error: class java.lang.OutOfMemoryError : Java heap space RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I currently have 200+ views and after running the following command: view-admin.cmd -m deploy -a, I get the following error @ 75%:

Unexpected error: class java.lang.OutOfMemoryError : Java heap space

Please kindly advise on a resolution to this issue.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:19 AM

All replies

• You could try explicitly setting the maximum Java heap size in %FASTSEARCH%\esp4j\bin\launch.cmd, for example by placing

-Xmx=1536M

directly after

-Xrs

No guarantees that this will work, but it may be worth a try...

If you are on a 64-bit platform, it may even be possible to specify a higher limit.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:13 AM
  • The above solution can be tried, but I would strongly recommend you to go over these Knowledge base articles for a long term plan to resolve the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2587590 : ESP Best Practices: Maximum Number of Deployed Views

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2587443: FAST/ESP Views and search profiles

Regards,

Anuroop Chinnamallela

Friday, June 22, 2012 11:18 PM
  • Hi Auroop, thanks for the useful links & valuable information.

I want to further clarify the terminology 'cluster/system' from the statement "Microsoft does not recommend deploying a high number of views, greater than 100, on a cluster/system." 

1) Does "cluster/system" mean a new standalone set of nodes (i.e. admin, crawler, indexer, query)?

2) If I absolutely need to keep ~200 views, does this imply I need to split the system up into 4 separate standalone systems? Which nodes can be shared amongst the system (e.g. can I share one admin node to maintain the 4 clusters/systems)?

Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:47 AM
  • If you try to deploy individual views (using -V) or a group of views , do you still get the out of memeory error:

%FASTSEARCH%\bin\ view-admin -m deploy -w <view1> <view2> <view3> ......

Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Yes, the memory error still exists when I try to deploy individual views.
    Sunday, December 2, 2012 3:55 PM