Steady State setting kills AutoCAD 2009 RRS feed

• Question

• I work at a school, and we use Steady State to create managed profiles for the students.  I've never had a problem before, but this years curriculum requires AutoCAD 2009 and it is not working with Steady State in the configuration we are using.

I've narrowed the problem to just one setting ... "Allow only programs in the Program Files and Windows folders to run".

When checked, AutoCAD will not start up at all, nor will it display an error message.  Just nothing.

When unchecked, it runs fine.

Not sure what I'm missing here .... AutoCAD 2009 resides in the Program Files folder, along with the AutoDesk folder.
    All the other programs in the Suite work fine (AutoDesk Inventor, AutoDesk Design Review, AOEMView, DWG TrueView, and Design Assistant) but not AutoCAD itself.

We use that setting to prevent students from running programs off flash drives or from downloads.  How can I troubleshoot this to figure out what is preventing AutoCAD from opening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ... I have three computer labs with this software....

Thanks

Edit:  Should have mentioned ... all systems are XP Pro.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:09 PM

All replies

•  

Hi, do you mean AutoCAD cannot be launched if we check the restriction "Allow only programs in the program files and windows folders to run"? Based on my experience of using AutoCAD (previous version), all its components should be in Program Files folder. Have you checked this in the new version?
    Friday, August 8, 2008 4:44 AM
  • It seems all the components are in the Program Files folder.  Yes - It cannot be launched when that restriction is checked.  You try to launch the program and nothing happens .... doesn't open, doesn't display an error message.

I have worked with a 2002 version prior to this version and I did not have this problem.  We'd probably still be using that version if it were not for the new curriculum requirement for ACad 2009.

I haven't figured a way around this yet, except to right-click the shortcut, choose "Run As" and choose an Admin account.  This requires the password for the account, which we obviously can't give to students, and then it will open normally.

Not even sure why that works .... I would think the same restrictions would apply.
    Unchecking the restriction, however, does allow ACad 2009 to open normally when using the Steady State account, even with all our other restrictions intact.

If someone has a solution ... I'd sure like to hear it!

Friday, August 8, 2008 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

Have you managed to resolve this yet ?

I work at a Uni and just installed AutoCAD 2009 70 times, and it only works with an admin account.... when I login as a Student I get acad.cui failures and it just loads up with no menus, as you say, use the run as command and it works, but I'm not prepared to give an admin / domain password to students Smile

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, September 1, 2008 11:40 AM
  • Just for the record, has anyone actually talked to Autodesk about this? I would think their Academic section would be very interested...and they actually are very good at fixing problems they are aware of.

Bon chance!

Monday, December 22, 2008 9:36 AM
  • You are incorrect about all of autocad or architecture's components being installed in the c:\program files\    folders.

from release 2007 and up all support files (main part of program such acad.mns now called aca.cui and in 2010 aca.cuix)

reside in the documents folder under the person's name that installed and activated the program to begin with.

I'm using architecture myself

example:

c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\autodesk\ACD-A 2009\enu\

stuff like plotters and plot styles tool catalogs are stored here

c:\documents and settings\john doe\application data\autodesk\ACD-A 2009\enu\

the main support directory is here

Unless you change the default setup of where the files are installed this is how it will install.

Hope this helps you.
    • Proposed as answer by JCS1112 Friday, February 26, 2010 9:08 PM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:07 AM