Updating management packs and adding new onces RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Forum

I enjoy the use of SCOM to monitor our environment.

But i have Two questions:

1. Will updating management packs from the builtin utility remove any custom overrides and monitors?

For example i have crated custom disk monitors under the Windows Server Management Pack and Custom SQL monitors under the SQL sql management.

2. Why are only some management packs available from the builtin utility? for example Exchange 2010 and AD 2012 Management packs are downloads on the download center? Why not publish them to the builtin utility of SCOM?

Thanks for your time! 

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

1. No, updating management packs will not remove custom overrides. However, with new mp's, new monitors may come, which change some of the monitors which you have overriden. Always read the MP documentation for new mps and test the new mp in a test environment.

2. Regarding the Exchange 2010, there have been some issues earlier, why it was taken off the online catalog. This will also give you the managment pack documentation, which you should always read.

Regards,

Michael

www.coretech.dk - blog.coretech.dk

• Edited by Michael Skov Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:46 AM Update
    • Marked as answer by Mobay Wednesday, June 4, 2014 11:15 AM
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 8:56 AM
    1.  Just to elaborate on this a bit – this is the exact reason why vendor supplied packs are sealed and any customisations are stored in our own custom unsealed packs. This prevents any modifications to the core packs which could be lost as part of an update.
    2. It’s always better to download the packs as you can also get the associated documentation
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 9:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. No, updating management packs will not remove custom overrides. However, with new mp's, new monitors may come, which change some of the monitors which you have overriden. Always read the MP documentation for new mps and test the new mp in a test environment.

2. Regarding the Exchange 2010, there have been some issues earlier, why it was taken off the online catalog. This will also give you the managment pack documentation, which you should always read.

Regards,

Michael

www.coretech.dk - blog.coretech.dk

• Edited by Michael Skov Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:46 AM Update
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 8:56 AM
    1.  Just to elaborate on this a bit – this is the exact reason why vendor supplied packs are sealed and any customisations are stored in our own custom unsealed packs. This prevents any modifications to the core packs which could be lost as part of an update.
    2. It’s always better to download the packs as you can also get the associated documentation
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 9:43 AM
  • Thanks for the answers received everyone.

Chunky.1 -> I have created my own monitors under the Windows Server 2008 Logical Disk main object, that is part of the Windows Server 2008 Operationg System Management Pack. But the Custom monitor is stored in my own Management Pack. So i hope that is the correct way?

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 11:14 AM
  • Yeah that's fine - one of best practices for MP authoring is never to remove a class from an exisitng pack so you'll be fine.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 11:34 AM