Outlook 2010 - journal entries not displayed RRS feed

• Question

• Outlook 2010 not able to find and display journal entries in activites sectio. If I open the same contact in Outlook 2007 the journals are displayed. 
    Monday, June 7, 2010 10:19 PM

Answers

• Eric,

I believe this issue is a bug and I do not see a way to workaround it.  The same problem occurs for me in the released version of Outlook 2010. 

Once you have the released version of Office 2010 you can open a support case and ask that the issue be investigated for fix consideration, http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_more_master?ws=mscom#tab1.  Since this is a bug issue you will not be charged for the support incident.

Thanks
    gabe

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, June 25, 2010 2:32 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Eric,

Based on my research, this issue might be related to some corrupted settings in the current Outlook profile. We can try to create a new profile to test the issue.

Here are the detailed steps on how to create a new profile to test this issue

==============

1.    Exit Outlook.

2.    Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

Mail appears in different Control Panel locations depending upon the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system, Control Panel view selected, and whether a 32- or 64-bit operating system or version of Outlook is installed.

The easiest way to locate Mail is to open Control Panel in Windows, and then in the Search box at the top of window, type Mail. In Control Panel for Windows XP, type Mail in the Address box.

Note    The Mail icon appears after Outlook starts for the first time.

The title bar of the Mail Setup dialog box contains the name of the current profile. To select a different existing profile, click Show Profiles, select the profile name, and then click Properties.

3.    Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

4.    Click Add.

5.    Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

6.    Start Outlook, and choose this new profile.

If this problem does not occur in the new Outlook profile, the old Outlook is corrupted. We can delete that and use a new Outlook profile.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:04 AM
  • Hi Sally

I did as suggested and have the same result with activites not showing. I went one step further and reinstalled Office 2010 with the same result.

FYI this is an Exchange based Outlook (OST's not PST's).

When I connect from a computer running Office 2007 all of the activities are displayed. (using the same contact on both machines)

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 8:25 PM
  • Dear Eric,

Thank you for y our reply. I am sorry to hear that the problem persists. At this time, let’s try if this works:

Clear form caches

=============

1.       Click File > Options > Advanced Options.

2.       Click Custom Forms.

3.       Click Manage Forms.

4.       Click Clear Cache.

5.       Close all open windows, and then restart Outlook.

If the problem persists after this, we might need to completely reinstall the Office program. I understand that this might take us some time and effort. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Here are the detailed steps on how to reinstall Office 2010.

==================

First, please go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features (Add/Remove Program Files), Locate the Office program and uninstall it.

Then, you can try to manually uninstall Office 2010 by the steps below: 

1. Download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe  

2. After you install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, click Start  -> All Programs -> Windows Install Clean Up.

3. Highlight Microsoft Office 2010 entry in the list and then click Remove. Quit the Utility.

Note: If you have got any other old or redundant office entries such as Office 2007 or other Office standalone products, such as Visio in the list, please remove them together.

4. Close all applications.

5. Click the “Start” peal, in the Search box, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

Note: If you are using Windows XP, click Start  -> Run, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

6. Expand the registry tree on the left pane and locate the following two registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office

7. Right-click on this registry subkey and click Delete to delete those keys.

8. Open Windows Explorer, and then browse to the "C:\Program Files" folder

If it exists, rename the "Microsoft Office" to "Microsoft Office OLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate" to "OfficeUpdateOLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate14" to "OfficeUpdate14OLD"

9. Click Start, in the Search box, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

Note: If you are using Windows XP, click Start  -> Run, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

10. Empty the Temp folder.

Note: If some files can't be deleted, please skip them, which don't influence the result of the troubleshooting.

11. Empty the Recycle Bin.

12. Restart your computer.

13. Try to reinstall Office 2010 again.

Sally Tang

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:37 AM
  • I will complete later today

thanks for the prompt replies

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 1:03 PM
  • I completed all the steps as presribed. There was one problem which may be the culpert (HKEY_LOCL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office will not delete) In anycase same result NaDa for activities.

FYI - I believe that there are entries in the registry that hold Outlook info which may also have to be deleted (is this the result of problem above?) . When Office is reinstalled and outlook is started the old setting are in place. Could this be in the local OST file?? or the registry?

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:33 PM
  • Hi Eric,

We can delete the registry subkey: HKEY_LOCL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office. In the registry subkey, it stores the Office settings. We’d better clear all the Office related files and settings on the computer, and then get a clean installation of the Office program. The registry subkey will be generated automatically after we install the Office program.

To avoid unexpected problems on the computer, you can also export the registry subkey and save it to a safe place. To export it, you can right click it and choose Export.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sally Tang

Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:17 AM
  • Hi Sally

the registry subkey: HKEY_LOCL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office will not delete (the sub sub keys except commom do delete.) Would the whole subkey delete if started in Safe Mode??

At the moment I reinstalled Office 2007. I will work on the problem this weekend.

Thanks,

Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Hi Sally

I just installed Office 2010 on another computer and the same problem exisits. That would indicate that is a problem with OutLook 2010 rather than the set-up.

For your infomation I am Eric's Dad following up for him.

Thanks,

Doug Pettit

If we need to talk at some point my contact info is.

Doug@itresolves.com 516-781-5640

Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:14 PM
  • Are we finished??

Is it a problem with Outlook 2010?

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Eric,

I believe this issue is a bug and I do not see a way to workaround it.  The same problem occurs for me in the released version of Outlook 2010. 

Once you have the released version of Office 2010 you can open a support case and ask that the issue be investigated for fix consideration, http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_more_master?ws=mscom#tab1.  Since this is a bug issue you will not be charged for the support incident.

Thanks
    gabe

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, June 25, 2010 2:32 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:04 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same problem.  I can make a Journal entry from a Contact record but I am not able to see the entry from the Contact record once it has been saved and closed.  I know that the entry was made because I can access it by highlighting the Journal folder in my folder list on the left side of the Outlook window.

I found this to be the case with both Office 2010 beta (which I had been using up until today) and the released version of Office 2010 Professional Plus.

I'm also hoping to be able to import years of Journal entries from Outlook 2003 to 2010 once I am able to get back to making new Journal entries.  I'm hoping an import of a .pst file I exported from 2003 will work.

Do you report this as a bug?  Have you made any more progress?

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 8:51 PM
  • I took the advice that Gabe gave Eric and opened a support case.  My summary of the situation is below.  Unfortunately, the case is being closed with no resolution.  Anup Vidyasagaran was the Microsoft engineer that I dealt with.  Although I suggested he touch base with Gabe to see if Gabe has made any further progress on the issue, Anup was not able to find out how to get in touch with Gabe even though they both work for Microsoft!

Issue Definition:  When selecting the Activities icon on the Outlook 2010 Contact Tab and then selecting “Journal” in the “Show” dropdown list, the Journal entries that are associated with the Contact are not displayed.   

Issue Overview:  The tabs displayed for an Outlook Contact record have been changed from “General, Details, Activities, Certificates, and All Fields” in earlier versions of Outlook to “File, Contact, Insert, Format Text, and Review” in Outlook 2010.  The functionality that previously existed on the “Activities” Tab has been moved (not “removed”) to an “Activities” Icon on the “Contact” Tab in Outlook 2010.  So even though the “Activities” Tab no longer exists in Outlook 2010, an Outlook 2010 user is still able to access the same Activities Page that existed previously and make Journal entries.  Journal entries are made in Outlook 2010 by selecting the “More” Icon on the “Contact” tab.  The problem is that a Journal entry initiated from the “More” Icon on the “Contact” tab is no longer tied to the Contact record. 

One can verify that the Journal entry was made by selecting the “Folder List” icon in the bottom portion of the left pane showing the Outlook 2010 folders.  This exposes the “Journal” folder.  By selecting the “Journal” folder, all Journal entries are accessible by date.  The Journal entry just made will be shown as an icon on a calendar on the date the entry was made and can be opened up by double clicking the icon.  Even Journal entries made in previous versions of Outlook are accessible in this manner.  But unfortunately, Journal entries are most logically accessed from a Contact record and not by the dates on which they were created.  Without tying the Journal entries to Contact records, they become inaccessible for practical purposes.

Note that Emails are still tied to the Contact record and accessible from this Activities Page.  So the basic functionality of tying information to a Contact Record remains intact.  But tying Journal entries to a Contact Record is broken.  Relating a Journal entry to a Contact Record appears to be a bug and not functionality that has been removed given that 1.) a Journal Entry is still able to be created from a Contact record, 2.) the user still has the means of accessing Journal Entries from a Contact Record (via the method outlined in the Issue Definition above), and 3.) other information (like email) is still tied to a Contact Record and accessible from the Activities Page in the same manner that one would access Journal Entries (via the method outlined in the Issue Definition above).

One of two things should happen.  Either a Journal entry should be tied to a Contact record or the ability to create a Journal entry from a Contact Record and access the entry from that same Contact Record should be removed and a statement should be made that Journal entry functionality, although initially included in Outlook 2010 but not properly implemented, is being removed altogether.

Friday, June 25, 2010 11:54 AM
  • I am having exactly the same problem with Outlook 2010 (Exchange-based). I love the new Office otherwise, but this bug really does frustrate me...
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:53 AM
  • I am having exactly the same issue with Outlook 2010 (PST based).  This is an extremely irritating bug or tedious removal of functionality and would be a reason that I would recommend to people that want to use Outlook as a CRM tool not to upgrade.  

A further irritation is the inability to point the activities search at any other folders including IMAP folders. 

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:04 PM
  • The key to fixing this issue is to use the search feature to find your contact information. Configuring the search feature properly will allow Outlook to find all emails, journal entries, notes, sent items and tasks. Try the following steps to see if this will resolve the issues. It took me a few days but I am now able to find all this information that will not show in Contacts under the Activities button.

1. Click folder list icon in the bottom left corner of Outlook.

2. Click Contacts

3. Make sure that the "List" view is selected

4. click in the search box and look up top to see the Search Tool option become available

5. Click "search Tools" and Select "Search Option"

6. Choose the radio button "All Folders" instead of Current folder

7. Click "Ok"

8. Attempt to search for a contact and their name as well as their journal entries, notes, sent items and emails will show up.

Note: If this still doesn't work attempt to open search options again and click "indexing options". Click the "Advanced" button and click the "Rebuild" button. This should fix a windows searching issue that could cause the problem also.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:35 PM
  • The key to fixing this issue is to use the search feature to find your contact information. Configuring the search feature properly will allow Outlook to find all emails, journal entries, notes, sent items and tasks. Try the following steps to see if this will resolve the issues. It took me a few days but I am now able to find all this information that will not show in Contacts under the Activities button.

1. Click folder list icon in the bottom left corner of Outlook.

2. Click Contacts

3. Make sure that the "List" view is selected

4. click in the search box and look up top to see the Search Tool option become available

5. Click "search Tools" and Select "Search Option"

6. Choose the radio button "All Folders" instead of Current folder

7. Click "Ok"

8. Attempt to search for a contact and their name as well as their journal entries, notes, sent items and emails will show up.

Note: If this still doesn't work attempt to open search options again and click "indexing options". Click the "Advanced" button and click the "Rebuild" button. This should fix a windows searching issue that could cause the problem also.

Is this a fix or a workaround?
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Have attempted all the above with no effect. Is Microsoft doing anything about this rather serious and dysfunctional bug???
    Monday, February 21, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Yes this is a very frustrating problem. The president of our company just got a new Windows 7 computer with Office 2010. He had used Journal entries on his past Outlook 2003 system. Now he cannot view his Journal Entries for a specific contact. I showed him the workaround "search" from J. R. Cross (above). That works, for which he is grateful. However, he is frustrated that the View Activities/Journal does not work.

I need to find out how soon Microsoft will have a fix.

Can anyone post Microsoft's status on this issue?

I would much appreciate it.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 10:06 PM
  • It is now well documented that Outlook 2010 no longer tracks tasks and journal entries under the activities section of a contact. So is this a known bug they are going to fix or a change by design that they are not going to fix? The responses from Microsoft are inconsistent according to those who have logged help requests. Opinions of community experts is varied. Is the elimination of CRM like features in Outlook 2010 a cynical ploy to convert/force users to Dynamics CRM2011? Yet if its not a bug, why do tasks and journal sections still appear under the activities section? Why do books like Microsoft Outlook 2010 Inside Out provide step by step instructions for using this now apparently non-existent functionality (for instance, there is a detailed section in the book called "Connecting journal activities to individual contacts" teaching us how to connect journal activities to contacts. Figure 22-11 provides a beautiful diagram of the journal entry, having been associated with the contact, now dazzlingly displayed in the contact's activities section, as if somewhere, somehow, this functionality really did exist. The section ends with "this is just one more way outlook 2010 keeps all your information interconnected"). Any insights from the community greatly appreciated. Would love to know if Outlook 2010 is a stripped down 2007 in terms of CRM functionality, or still just in early release with some bugs still to be fixed.
    Philip J Schlesinger
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 1:33 AM
  • Why is this not being answered by Microsoft.  This problem is well documented and yet no response by Microsoft?  Should be a simple thing to at least respond to the frustration.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Funny how on this You Tube video explaining how to link journal entries to a contact (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpOE2hbBbHw&feature=related), they customise the ribbon by adding command 'New Journal Entry For Contact' and not 'New Journal Entry'. However, when I follow the procedure only 'New Journal Entry' command is available. 'New Journal Entry For Contact' is not there. Could this be the problem? The video does say both commands do the same thing, so why have two commands?

Does anyone with this issue have 'New Journal Entry For Contact' available? Or are we all missing this command.

Conversely, does anyone not having the problem of missing journal entries in the 'All Activities' view, have this command available?

Saturday, May 7, 2011 7:25 AM
  • Add me to the list.  Same problem.  Answering KPickering above, in Contacts, and adding commands in the quick access toolbar top left, there are two Journal options: Journal, and Journal Entry.  When you hover over Journal, it says: Commands Not In the Ribbon | Journal (GoToJournal).  When you hover over Journal Entry (the second choice) it says: Commands Not In The Ribbon | Journal Entry (New Journal Entry for Contact).

I did both.  Neither worked.

This is highly frustrating for me.  I did a hardsell to my boss to upgrade to Win 7, Office 2010, and Exchange Server SPECIFICALLY for this CRM feature.  Boy am I in hot water.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:23 PM
  • I have the same problem.  I keep checking with Web searches to see if someone has solved this riddle. It is rather disappointing that MS has apparently swept this issue under the rug.

It is a big deal to me.  I keep track of my phone calls and other journal entries and it is truly bothersome that this issue won't go away!

Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:01 PM
  • Same problem here! Also a big deal for me. I track time spent on clients through the journal entries...
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:01 AM
  • I'm having the same issue.  Sure would like a fix soon.  Would hate to move to another CRM but may be forced to.  Microsoft.... please come up with a solution. 

Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:25 AM
  • Been watching this thread hoping for an resolution to come soon.  Just down loaded the Service Pack 1 for MS Office 2010 - does not seem to solve the problem.  Very disapointing for Microsoft as this is a huge deal to me to.  What good is a CRM if you cannot EASILY track activities and journal entries.  It is almost like they are forcing me elsewere or . . . to MS Office 365 ? ? ?

Friday, July 1, 2011 6:31 PM
  • I recently upgrade to Office 2010 and have the same issue, and initially I did not expect it was a bug, instead I thought there were something wrong with my setup. It is really a disappointment that Microsoft has not been able to provide a solution for this till now.
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:37 AM
  • Having reported this problem to Microsoft last year, I was promised that MS was well aware that this was a bug and was told by the technician (a few levels up from the "front line") that the fix would DEFINITELY be part of SP1. I volunteered (and begged) to be part of the the beta but I wan't able to participate. Just downloaded SP1 and SOOOO hopeful that this was fixed... but NOTHING! I JUST DON'T GET IT! As others have said -- this is HUGELY frustrating and makes journal entries almost useless. This is SO wrong.
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 2:13 AM
  • Same problem here.  Had the issue with a client, which I attributed to some configuration problem since I had upgraded them from Office 2007 and used the existing .pst file.  But on my machine, which is a clean 2010 install it does the same thing.  Even the search workaround posted by J.R. Cross doesn't work for me.  It returns everything but journal entries. 

This really frustrating.  It seems obvious at this point that MS has no intention of fixing it.  A feature used by many of their customers that was working fine in previous versions and now it's simply gone.  At this point 2010 feels like a downgrade for my client and the only fix it seems is to go back to Office 2007.  Fantastic.  

*edit*

Ok, actually the workaround does work, there is an additional step though.  When I would search for a contact it would return everything but journal entries.  After you perform the initial search and find the contact you want (you need to be specific with your search so that you only get one contact as a result) then go back and click on the "All Outlook Items" at the top left of the page.  Even if you selected this to begin with it doesn't work, you have to go back and click on that AFTER the search is complete.  Then I see journal entries as part of the search results.  Not really a great solution since you could simply search the journal folder directly.  At least it sorta works though.  Which begs the question, if this information can be returned from a global search in Outlook, why can't it be included in the activities tab under contacts?  From a programming standpoint how hard could it be to make that happen?

Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:28 PM
  • I can't believe this still isn't fixed.  I assume no one has an update.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:57 PM
  • I just updated my Office Professional 2010 to SP1 and the issue with journals not displaying is still not fixed. I talked to a Microsoft employee and he had this convoluted way of using "One Note" to keep track of his activities. The key word here is "convoluted". This is one of many issues where Microsoft is dropping the ball, and is very slow to pick it back up. (Windows Mobile/Phone 7, Tablet, Live Connector Calendar….)

• Proposed as answer by glennrey Sunday, November 27, 2011 2:48 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 4:52 PM
  • Calling using onenote to journal activites "Convoluted" is being kind :) No, the problems with journal in Outlook 2010 is not fixed and i don't believe its going to be fixed. I've been bugging them to extend the people pane to find all outlook items, but i don't expect that to change in current versions. Outlook 2010 & Contact Activities

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 2:16 AM
  • Wow:

<form id="forumsSearch" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-style: inherit; font-family: inherit; " action="http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/search" method="post">
    <input style="background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000; vertical-align: middle; float: left; margin: 0px;" src="http://i2.social.s-msft.com/Forums/resources/images/search.gif?cver=1864.923%0d%0a" type="image" /></form>

All Replies

• Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:42 AM

Vote As Helpful

Dear Partner,

Thanks for your post, my name is Charlie and I will be working with you on this issue.

From your description, I understand that the journal entries are missing from the activities tab under contacts in Outlook 2010. You would like to know whether the issue will be fixed. If I have misunderstood, please let me know.

Based on my research, it appears that the issue will not be fixed in the near future.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Charlie Cao
      Partner Online Technical Community
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      We hope you get value from our new forums platform! Tell us what you think:
      http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/partnerfdbk/threads
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Need Help with Forums? (FAQ)
    We have recently changed our Forums Email Alerts. You need to set an email address forums alerts can be sent to. Click here to set your email address.

My Forum Links

diaplayname11
    Redshift
    Partner
    Recognition Points 0
    Achievements Earned 1 0 0