Adding user restrictions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I had a quick questions on how to restrict user from adding icons or changing the desktop. The main Administrator account on the computer is not active and there is only one user account with Administrator privileges.

The computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium. I've searched around a bit and it seemed like all the answer had something to do with opening Group Policy which isn't available on Home Premium.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ranaz1
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 2:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To be honesty, it’s a good way to prevent users from changing the desktop icons via Group Policy Object Settings. And as you said, Group Policy Editor is not included with Windows 7 Home Premium, which is only available in Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate editions. So I recommend you to upgrade your Windows 7 Home Premium to a higher edition using Windows Anytime Upgrade.

Link for How to Do a Windows Anytime Upgrade in Windows 7 below:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/95744-windows-anytime-upgrade-how.html

Also any third party hack to get Group Policy Editor to Home Premium is against the End User License Agreement of your Windows 7 and can include procedures that might seriously harm your computer.

Following this, please locate to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Control Panel -> Personalization -> Prevent changing desktop icons, and then you’ll make it.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, October 21, 2013 3:20 PM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 2:45 PM