Help needed with MS Word numbering RRS feed

• Question

• I have worked on this document for weeks and my deadline is tomorrow.

I had one place in my document where the numbering did not increment correctly so I tried to fix it. Now all of the numbering in my entire document has disappeared! Not just in the paragraph I was correcting but the entire document and for all levels of heading!

I tried reapplying the style to a paragraph and the numbering did not come back.

When I right-click a paragraph and choose 'numbering', the style of numbering (1.2.3) I had is not listed.

Is there any way to get the numbering back?

I have no idea where numbering is defined, is it part of a style?

It does appear that each paragraph still has its correct style set.

It looks like all my styles have numbering set to 'None' and I cannot reset it because I don't see the numbering system that was being used in the list

The numbering being used was 1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.2.1, 1.2.2 etc.

Monday, January 25, 2016 9:34 PM

Answers

• The answer to this thread is that it certain circumstances (mine), the set numbering dialog cannot be used to correct numbering.

You have to erase the misnumbered line, then reinsert the text as normal text, then reapply the style.

This was the only solution that worked for me.

Why this works and the renumbering dialog does not is a mystery only Microsoft in its infinite wisdom can answer.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 5:02 PM

All replies

• Ok guys I still dont know how to fix my disappearing numbering problem. However, I looked at my previous saved version and I noticed the three places where the numbering got messed up all have a paragraph with a new line character (Shift--Enter). Whereever I have that, the current list ends and starts again with the same base number. So if I'm at 7.6, it goes back to 7.1. I tried resetting the numbering to 'continue previous list' and it is grayed out and won't let me.

Is this a bug?

Monday, January 25, 2016 10:52 PM
  • The answer to this thread is that it certain circumstances (mine), the set numbering dialog cannot be used to correct numbering.

You have to erase the misnumbered line, then reinsert the text as normal text, then reapply the style.

This was the only solution that worked for me.

Why this works and the renumbering dialog does not is a mystery only Microsoft in its infinite wisdom can answer.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 5:02 PM