Missing Microsoft updates in SCCM RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to SCCM and WSUS administration and hopefully someone out there can help me out.  I have been having issues synchronizing my software updates with Microsoft.

It seems that most of the updates do indeed synchronize (and I have been able to deploy them out with no issues), however I have found a few updates, Project 2007 SP2 being one, that are not being downloaded.  Upon further digging, I logged into WSUS and noticed that these updates in question were classified as Not Approved.  I don’t know how these obtained this classification setting since I am set to automatically approve Service Packs and Office 2007 products. 

I approved them for install, again through WSUS, and re-synched SCCM; however the updates still do not appear in the update repository.  I think I am missing something obvious and have searched the log files and searched various message boards looking for answers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My setup is:

SCCM 2007 and WSUS 3.0 SP1 running on a Windows Server 2003 SP2 machine

Monday, January 25, 2010 12:52 PM

Answers

• When the SUP role is installed on a site system, it takes control of WSUS and any configuration changes that you make within WSUS are overruled by SCCM or worse, screw up your updates.  I'm not sure what you mean by "I could always manually create a package for these updates (I hate to do this since this doesn’t solve the problem)."  In SCCM you have to manually create and packages containing updates you would like to push out.  Its not like WSUS where you approve an update and it is automatically pushed out.  How are you looking for this update within the SCCM console?  where are you looking?
    • Marked as answer by Zindous Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:48 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you install Software Update Point Role on SCCM Server ?

Look this : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb632674.aspx

Thank's 
    Bechir Gharbi. MCSA, MCSE Security & Messaging, MCITP Entr-Srv Administrator, MCT, MCTS ConfigMgr/OpsMgr/ISA Server.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 3:44 PM
  • If he can download and push out most updates, then he must have the SUP installed and working.  I would go into your SUP Component properties and double check your "classifications" and "Products" selections... perhaps find out what those exact updates are classified as and make sure you have that selected.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:08 PM
  • Yes, our SUP is also installed on the same server as our SCCM and WSUS.  I also double checked the classification and product for the missing update; they are currently checked as being synchronized. 

I am searching every forum site looking for anything that I can try to get this working.  The only thing I am really finding is that somehow these updates were marked as "unapproved", which led me to look into WSUS.  I found this as unapproved, approved it and made the needed changes to my automatic approvals list. 

In WSUS, when I search for this update, it is approved for install on all computers.  However, when I do a search in SCCM, I cannot find this update.  Now I am not sure if this is actually deployed out or not, since we do all of our MS update deployments through SCCM.  I am probably making this issue way too difficult and am most likely over thinking things, but I would imagine that once an update is approved in WSUS, SCCM should be able to see this change. 

Worst case scenario, I could always manually create a package for these updates (I hate to do this since this doesn’t solve the problem). 

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:44 AM
  • When the SUP role is installed on a site system, it takes control of WSUS and any configuration changes that you make within WSUS are overruled by SCCM or worse, screw up your updates.  I'm not sure what you mean by "I could always manually create a package for these updates (I hate to do this since this doesn’t solve the problem)."  In SCCM you have to manually create and packages containing updates you would like to push out.  Its not like WSUS where you approve an update and it is automatically pushed out.  How are you looking for this update within the SCCM console?  where are you looking?
    • Marked as answer by Zindous Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:48 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:15 PM
  • I logged in this morning and the missing updates are no longer missing!  I guess everything was backlogged and needed some time to work itself out.  At least I have increased my SCCM/WSUS troubleshooting through this mess, although I don't know if anything I did actually helped.  Thanks for the assistance BigPappaJ.

I was looking under the Computer Management->Software Updates->Search Folders structure. 
    • Proposed as answer by mniccum Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:22 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:48 AM
  • I have seen some updates apply that need reboot and the rest will not complete until a reboot.  Was that your case?

Mike
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:23 PM
  • No, my issue was WSUS did not approve certain updates.  When I went into WSUS to approve them, SCCM did not see them.  There was obviously a disconnect between WSUS and SCCM or my network decided to run dirt slow.  Either way it took a while to download the updates and reflect that status in SCCM.  I was able to deploy them out via SCCM correctly.

Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:38 AM