CONFIGURE FIREWALL RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we are a small organization and recently have deployed single windows server 2012 with AD, IIS and exchange server 2013. Due to our limits in budget i had been asked to install a software firewall on the same server.

Please do suggest if its okay to install software firewall on the same server and its implications in case i do plan to install.

Thanks in advance....

Monday, November 9, 2015 11:23 AM

Answers

• You could use Microsoft TMG, even though mainstream support is finished. However, there are various products on the market... For example, one of them is Trend Micro Interscan Web Security which comes as a hardware or virtual appliance.

Regards,

Ivan

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Thursday, November 12, 2015 7:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, December 8, 2015 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 5:25 AM

All replies

• there is no need to install anything: Windows Server 2012 includes a built-in firewall which is active by default

See Windows Firewall with Advanced Security Overview for more info

Gleb.

Monday, November 9, 2015 11:31 AM
  • i mean software firewall to filter, monitor websites on the network..

Monday, November 9, 2015 11:36 AM
  • Hello,

Not recommended.

Services that you are running are business critical. In case of attack, it is possible to loose everything and go through tremendous downtime.

Best advised to separate firewall from the rest of the environment.

Regards,

Ivan

Monday, November 9, 2015 12:12 PM
  • You should buy a hardware firewall i.e Watchguard XTM 25 etc or Cisco ASA these are not very expensive. 
    Monday, November 9, 2015 12:59 PM
  • we do have cisco asa firewall, however we want to  monitors user activities on the internet such as websites visited, user downloads and also block websites.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 4:23 AM
  • You could use Microsoft TMG, even though mainstream support is finished. However, there are various products on the market... For example, one of them is Trend Micro Interscan Web Security which comes as a hardware or virtual appliance.

Regards,

Ivan

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Thursday, November 12, 2015 7:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, December 8, 2015 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 5:25 AM
  • Hi,

To configure the monitoring of clients session, please refer to the link below:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc441589.aspx

To download Forefront TMG, please click the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=14238

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 12, 2015 8:00 AM