none
DB2 adapter - stored procedure name length limit RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using BizTalk 2010, HIS CU 5, both 64 bit.

When calling a particular DB2 stored procedure using the DB2 adapter, it fails. It turns out that the stored procedure name length can't be longer than 18 characters. Our DB2 system is Version 10 for z/OS. We checked that DB2 V7 has a limit of 18 bytes for stored procedure name, but since V8, stored procedure name can be 128 bytes.

Is this a known limitation for DB2 adapter?

Friday, December 14, 2012 11:51 PM

Answers

• I have reproduced the same problem using the HIS 2010 DB2 Provider with a Linked Server going against DB2 for z/OS V9. I didn't have the problem when going against DB2/400 on an AS/400 running V6R1.

I would suggest that you open a support case with us in order to pursue this further.

Please note that the DB2 Providers in HIS 2010 are not supported with DB2 for z/OS V10. Many things will work OK, but we have seen some incompatibilities while doing some testing. We plan on fully supporting V10 with the upcoming HIS 2013 release in the first half of 2013.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

• Marked as answer by jian-shen Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:53 PM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:39 PM

All replies

• Can you tell me what error you are getting when you call the SP?

Also, can you call the same Stored Procedure from a Linked Server that uses the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for DB2 in SQL Server or when using a C# application that uses the Managed Provider for DB2 (which the BizTalk Adapter for DB2 is based on)?

Just trying to determine if the problem is restricted to the DB2 Adapter.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Monday, December 17, 2012 4:19 PM
  • When running the BizTalk application, the send port never receives any response, and hangs. The DB2 log on mainframe will show something like this:

------

DSNL027I  -D SERVER DISTRIBUTED AGENT WITH      
               LUWID=CEC2A214.C933.CA9CEFE6F6C1=37684  
               THREAD-INFO=MAINJXS:*:*:MSEIDRDA:*:*:*:*
               RECEIVED ABEND=0C4                      
               FOR REASON=00D35011                     
    -----

I just tried the SQL Server approach that you suggested. I created a linked server using "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for DB2", and I was able to successfully call stored procedure with a name shorter than 18 characters. When a call a stored procedure with a long name, then I got the following:

------

OLE DB provider "DB2OLEDB" for linked server "DISD" returned message "An internal network library error has occurred. A network level syntax error has occurred. SQLSTATE: HY000, SQLCODE: -379".

------

Thanks!                

Monday, December 17, 2012 8:45 PM
  • I have reproduced the same problem using the HIS 2010 DB2 Provider with a Linked Server going against DB2 for z/OS V9. I didn't have the problem when going against DB2/400 on an AS/400 running V6R1.

I would suggest that you open a support case with us in order to pursue this further.

Please note that the DB2 Providers in HIS 2010 are not supported with DB2 for z/OS V10. Many things will work OK, but we have seen some incompatibilities while doing some testing. We plan on fully supporting V10 with the upcoming HIS 2013 release in the first half of 2013.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

• Marked as answer by jian-shen Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:53 PM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Thank you for your help!

Not sure how to open a support case, though. Could you please provide me a link for opening support case.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:01 PM
  • You can use the following steps to open a support case for HIS:

1. Go to http://support.microsoft.com/.
    2. Click Get live help.
    3. Click More Products
    4. Click More Servers… under Servers
    5. Click Host Integration Server.
    6. Choose Microsoft Host Integration Server 2010

From this point, you will follow the wizard to complete the case creation. Since this looks to be a bug, you will be refunded the cost for the case, but this will be done when the case is being worked on by a support engineer.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 8:12 PM