none
IE11 Enterprise Mode site list not working RRS feed

• Question

• I've configured the Enterprise Mode site list as directed in the following article

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn640696.aspx

and set up the gpo to point to my site.  I've confirmed in my site's logs that the xml file is accessible.

However, it isn't working; none of the sites are launching in enterprise mode.  I notice that the CurrentVersion key in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode has remained at 1 and is not updating.  I'm assuming that is the problem, but I can't figure out why it won't update.

Any advice?

Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you deploy the xml file to a shared folder on a file server and use GPO to direct MSIE clients on your networks to use that list from a shared folder.

On the client side when IE makes a web request it will use the Enterprise Mode xml file to look up the domain and use the configurations for x-ua and userAgent String specified in the xml file in the request headers.

It sounds like you have deployed your xml file to your web server, expecting that IIS or apache will use the lists...and use the userAgent string and x-ua lookup values to SEND back to the client in the response headers. see Understanding Compatibility View lists.

If your websites are public access you use x-ua response headers (see above article for instructions to configure IIS and Apache), or better yet... update your web assets to modern standards.

To view what documentMode IE is using see the Emulation tab of Developer tools (f12)... the Developer tool will show how it is being set.... x-ua meta, x-ua response header, Intranet zone, Enterprise mode....

To view what userAgent string your Browser is sending and what userAgent String your servers are responding with see the Networking tab of the Developer tool, click the Start button and refresh the page.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:25 PM
  • I have also tried saving the file in a network share, but it still doesn't work.  The HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Enterprise Mode\Current Version registry key doesn't update.

In the GPO itself I have it pointing to file://myshare/sitelist.xml.

Friday, August 1, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

which OS do you run? If it's Win7 please check if EMIE works in general via F12 or Tools Menu. If not you'll have to install the required KB2929437 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2929437/en).

Did you use the Enterprise Mode Site List Manager for creating the XML? If not you have to be careful with the Version of the XML, you have to increment it each time you'll change the XML.

And last suggestion: store the XML on you local client (c:\temp) or sth. and change the Reg-Key that points to the file.

Friday, August 1, 2014 5:09 PM
  • It is Windows 7.  I've confirmed that I can enable Enterprise Mode manually via the Tools menu.

Yes, I used the Enterprise Mode Site List Manager to create the XML file.  It doesn't matter how many times it increments the version, the registry key does not update the version. 

I've also tried storing the file locally; this also doesn't work.

Monday, August 4, 2014 3:23 PM
  • I am curious if you've found a resolution to this.  I'm having the same issue, though only on a single test machine.  Other machines are fine, so the problem - at least in my case - is workstation specific.  I'm hoping to find the fix prior to rolling out IE 11 enterprise-wide, as I'm sure this won't be the only case.  I too can see and turn on Enterprise Mode via the Tools menu, but sites that are in the site list are not using Enterprise Mode.  I can also see the .xml file which I'm hosting on an accessible web server.  Registry settings are properly reflecting the location of the file, so I know the GPO is being applied.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:18 PM
  • We were running into this issue.  The root cause in our case was that AppSense was redirecting the HKCU hive.  Once we excluded HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Enterprise Mode from AppSense, everything worked properly.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 7:53 PM
  • Hi steve

Can i ask what version of appsense you are using?

Thx

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or MVPs.

Twitter: @alexverboon | Blog: Anything About IT

Saturday, August 30, 2014 7:36 AM
  • We were running into this issue.  The root cause in our case was that AppSense was redirecting the HKCU hive.  Once we excluded HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Enterprise Mode from AppSense, everything worked properly.

Hi,

we've come across this issue aswel. Please note that the correct registry setting is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode

and not

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Enterprise Mode

Also, we've had to delete the Windows profile in order to make this work so I hope I saved someone some time. :)

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 11:20 AM
  • Try creating a logoff/logon script that deletes the key-

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet explorer\main\EnterpriseMode\CurrentVersion

Also verify if you have turned on the setting – Tools -> Internet options > Advanced > Empty Temporary Internet Filed Folder when browser is closed -> This could also impact the behavior of a site loading in Enterprise mode without log off. If this settings is turned on disable it.

I just posted in my SC Joe Blog on this occurring in a non-persistent VDI environment here- IE11 Enterprise Mode bug in Non-Persistent VDI desktops (Website List Not initializing)

Good Luck!

Joe Popich

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 1:51 AM
  • When testing or troubleshooting the site list changes, consider the following:

• Delete the EnterpriseMode key that uses the CurrentVersion entry to determine if it needs to download the updated versio: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode]
    • Make sure, no IExplore.exe process is running

After you have done this, you can open IE again and test.

This Article explains the logic:

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:19 PM
  • Hello,

Can you tell me why my enterprise list do not work, please? 

I have  GPO with network location to the enterprise site list (http://my_webserver/IE11Enterpriselist.xml). Checking workstations, all are updating fine - I mean in the registry there is proper location to the xml file and currentversion is updating well.  Problem is that none of the website from the list open in enterprise mode. 

When I press F12 and go to 'Emulation' tab I can see that in 'Emulation' tab is always 'Desktop' as "Browser profile" instead of 'Enterprise'. Can you help me in this case?

Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:39 AM
  • Hello,

Can you tell me why my enterprise list do not work, please? 

I have  GPO with network location to the enterprise site list (http://my_webserver/IE11Enterpriselist.xml). Checking workstations, all are updating fine - I mean in the registry there is proper location to the xml file and currentversion is updating well.  Problem is that none of the website from the list open in enterprise mode. 

When I press F12 and go to 'Emulation' tab I can see that in 'Emulation' tab is always 'Desktop' as "Browser profile" instead of 'Enterprise'. Can you help me in this case?

Hi Simon

Is your Internet Explorer - Extras tab showing the enterprise mode option? I was facing the problem, that my IE patchlevel was to low for running IEEM.

Another check: Enter your xml webserver path into the addressbar and look, if the content will be displayed.

Today I had another problem: Everything was fine with my webserver and the IE on clientside was showing the xml without problems. However, my IEEM sites were not displayed properly. So I ran the following PS Script:

<# Force Refresh IE Enterprise Mode #>
    <# Clear IE Cache for User #>
    RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl, ClearMyTracksByProcess 8

<# Remove Version Registry Key #>
    Remove-ItemProperty -Path 'hkcu:\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode' -Name CurrentVersion

<# Send Instructions #>
    Write-Host "Bitte Internet Explorer schliessen, um die Enterprise Mode Liste zu aktualisieren."

Maybe this helps for you.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 2:56 PM
  • I don't know if my issue is related - I can get the registry keys to populate and update, but it doesn't change anything on the workstations - none of the sites that are supposed to run in Enterprise Mode do. We built the site list with the site list manager application so I'm confident that the issue should not be the XML. We can manually put sites into Enterprise Mode (though in order to get them to stay, we had to disable the automatic deletion of temporary internet files as a poster above had suggested) but they will not populate on the list. Verified that the users have access to the file share where the XML is located and again, the reg keys are changing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. We're reaching out to some of our Microsoft contacts to see if we can get some help without having to open a premier case.

WB

Thursday, February 4, 2016 8:55 PM
  • Did you ever find a solution?

blog | http://blog.scottbreen.tech

Friday, April 1, 2016 5:38 AM
  • In my case, I spent 2 days looking for why the CURRENT_USER registry key was not updating, or on another machine was not being created at all.

The issue was with the file path to the XML file in Group Policy.

In error, we had an extra space in the path name in the Group Policy, so IE couldn't find the SiteList.xml, and therefore wouldn't update the current key with the new version number, or wouldn't create the key at all in the newly set up machine.

Q:\IE Enterprise Mode URL List \SiteList.xml

(Space after URL List should not be there, but was in the Group Policy)

Removed the space and everyone is hunky dorington.

Hope this helps someone...

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:18 AM
  • In my case, I spent 2 days looking for why the CURRENT_USER registry key was not updating, or on another machine was not being created at all.

The issue was with the file path to the XML file in Group Policy.

In error, we had an extra space in the path name in the Group Policy, so IE couldn't find the SiteList.xml, and therefore wouldn't update the current key with the new version number, or wouldn't create the key at all in the newly set up machine.

Q:\IE Enterprise Mode URL List \SiteList.xml

(Space after URL List should not be there, but was in the Group Policy)

Removed the space and everyone is hunky dorington.

Hope this helps someone...
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:20 AM
  • I also got this issue. my list is on IIS server.

I configure it like this :

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770661(v=ws.10).aspx

and the issue disappear.

Eyal Saadon System Administrator @ Strauss-Group Israel

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:13 AM