KMS Priority setting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have 3 KMS HOST and I want to ensure the sequence is correct when Activating the windows.

I want the all workstation/server query go firts in the KMSone-1, and then KMStwo-2, and the last  KMSthree-3

Now, how do make sure they going 1st in the KMSone-1 before 2nd, and 3rd KMS host

What will be the value I need to put in priority. Let say the priority is KMSone-1,

I want to make sure to go KMSone-1 before other KMS server

Sample : Deafult

_VLMCS SRV record KMSone-1 with priority of 0

_VLMCS SRV record KMStwo-2 with priority of 0

_VLMCS SRV record KMSthree-3 with priority of 0

Please advise

Monday, July 9, 2012 11:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I think not only the priority but also the weight will be displayed.

Add priority and weight parameters to the DnsDomainPublishList registry value for KMS. This feature enables an administrator to establish KMS host priority groupings and weighting within each group to define which KMS host to try first and balance traffic among multiple KMS hosts.

There is an example for you:

Description

Configuration

Host

Configure east.contoso.com SRV priority and weight so that clients will contact KMS_E* hosts if available before trying KMS_W* hosts. Traffic will be divided: 75% to the KMS_*1 hosts and 25% to the KMS_*2 hosts.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform DnsDomainPublishList=

KMS_E1, 10, 75

KMS_E2, 10, 25

KMS_W1, 90, 75

KMS_W2, 90, 25

KMS_E1

KMS_E2

Configure west.contoso.com SRV priority and weight so that clients will contact KMS_W* hosts if available before trying KMS_E* hosts. Traffic will be divided: 75% to the KMS_*1 hosts and 25% to the KMS_*2 hosts.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform DnsDomainPublishList=

KMS_W1, 10, 75

KMS_W2, 10, 25

KMS_E1, 90, 75

KMS_E2, 90, 25

KMS_W1

KMS_W2

Note: For detailed settings towards your scenario, you need to customize by yourself.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by James Xiong Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:25 AM
    • Proposed as answer by James Xiong Friday, July 13, 2012 1:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Monday, July 16, 2012 7:30 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think not only the priority but also the weight will be displayed.

Add priority and weight parameters to the DnsDomainPublishList registry value for KMS. This feature enables an administrator to establish KMS host priority groupings and weighting within each group to define which KMS host to try first and balance traffic among multiple KMS hosts.

There is an example for you:

Description

Configuration

Host

Configure east.contoso.com SRV priority and weight so that clients will contact KMS_E* hosts if available before trying KMS_W* hosts. Traffic will be divided: 75% to the KMS_*1 hosts and 25% to the KMS_*2 hosts.

KMS_E1, 10, 75

KMS_E2, 10, 25

KMS_W1, 90, 75

KMS_W2, 90, 25

KMS_E1

KMS_E2

Configure west.contoso.com SRV priority and weight so that clients will contact KMS_W* hosts if available before trying KMS_E* hosts. Traffic will be divided: 75% to the KMS_*1 hosts and 25% to the KMS_*2 hosts.

KMS_W1, 10, 75

KMS_W2, 10, 25

KMS_E1, 90, 75

KMS_E2, 90, 25

KMS_W1

KMS_W2

Note: For detailed settings towards your scenario, you need to customize by yourself.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by James Xiong Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:25 AM
    • Proposed as answer by James Xiong Friday, July 13, 2012 1:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Monday, July 16, 2012 7:30 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:24 AM
  • Just a quick question: The DnsDomainPublishList registry entry; is that to be added on the DNS server or on each KMS host?

Thanks in adavance,

G

Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:04 PM