none
Modify deprecated IE Maintenance policy

Question

• We have a number of legacy PCs which are using the now deprecated Internet Explorer Maintenance (Preference Mode) Proxy settings to limit Internet access to a group of PCs. We redirect HTTP to 127.0.0.1 and have an exclusions list for specific work-related sites. New PCs added to the targeted OU do not pick up this policy, but legacy PCs still adhere to it. I'd like to add a site to the exclusions list, but I'm concerned an update may break the outdated policy and remove it from PCs that are utilizing it. Does anyone know if that would be the case?
    Friday, October 28, 2016 7:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

The proxy settings in IE Maintenance has been replaced by Internet Settings Group Policy Preferences\Connections\LAN Settings. To achieve your goal, you could configure the new setting to limit Internet access.

In addition, for deprecated the IE Maintenance setting, some settings have been replaced, other settings, you could configure them with IEAK(Internet Explorer Administration Kit).

Here is an article below for your reference.

Appendix B: Replacements for Internet Explorer Maintenance

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj890998.aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 31, 2016 5:26 AM
  • Jay,

Thanks for your Reply. I'm aware of the replacement settings. IEAK is not an option at this time, and not only is the LAN Settings option user based, rather than machine based, it simply doesn't apply correctly. I'm working with Premier support on the doesn't apply issue.

My question, however, is what the impact of modifying the deprecated setting is. PCs which received this GPO prior to deprecation still have the settings in place, while new PCs added to the OU this is targeted to do not pick it up. Do you know if modifying this policy (by adding a site to the exclusions list) will cause PCs which currently utilize it to stop doing so?

Thanks,

Jason

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 3:32 PM