Outlook (2003) > Mail in Control Panel RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

This is my first post.

I have been using SoftGrid (4.1) to sequence and deploy Office 2003 to users.

Today I needed to use the "Mail" Control Panel item to create a new profile for a user, and to my suprise is isn't there!

Where has the "Mail" control panel item gone, and how can I configure additional profiles etc for my users?

Regards,

Daniel Jansen

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 12:00 AM

Answers

• Hello,

This is resolved with Office 2010 beta and the App-v deployment kit.

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:05 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:47 PM

All replies

• Daniel,

Since SoftGrid virtualizes an application, thus making no changes to the system, the mail icon is also not there.

I think you are looking for MLCFG32.CPL, which normally shows up in the control panel.

You could run it from a script using this KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939085

or use the free OSD editor from here http://www.loginconsultants.com

Running it from a script within the Office virtual environment makes it possible to run this cpl file, which you cannot find on the "real" filesystem.

Besides this issue, I just want to warn you since office integrates with so many applications it may not be wise to virtualize this application. But you can always find this out yourself :-)

Regards,

Rodney

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:30 PM
    Answerer
  • Rodney,

Thank you for your quick response!

I have been doing some testing and some research in an attempt to get MLCFG32.CPL working through SoftGrid.

My setup is as follows:

Domain Controller: CTH-DC (Server 2008 w/ SoftGrid 4.5)

Terminal Server: CTH-TS (Server 2008 w/ SoftGrid 4.5)

SoftGrid Sequencer: CTH-Sequencer (Server 2008 w/ SoftGrid 4.5)

I re-sequenced Microsoft Office 2003 Standard, and this time I did the following:

During the "Installation Wizard" Stage of sequencing I added "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\MLCFG32.CPL" to "Additional Files to Map to the VFS".

At the "Configure Applications" Stage I added a Start Menu item for "Microsoft Mail Configuration Library" under "Start\Microsoft Office\".

I then depoyed Office to the Server 2008 Terminal Server (CTH-TS), clicked on Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Mail Configuration Library.

The following error appears:

Mail

You need more memory or system resources. Close some windows and try again.

OK

I found this MS KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223744/ which is for Outlook 2000:

Cause: There is a problem with your MAPI configuration.

Resolution: Restart Outlook. This will run the Fixmapi.exe program and correct this problem.

This doesn't seem to help or be to relevant

Click OK and the following appears

Microsoft Windows

Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working

Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: rundll32.exe

Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Application Timestamp: 4549b0e1

Fault Module Name: StackHash_6913

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Offset: 00000000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Data: 00000008

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.16.7

Locale ID: 3081

Additional Information 1: 6913

Additional Information 2: 52ed536fe008e2bbde853565901511d7

Additional Information 3: c067

Additional Information 4: d613fc7efc9b4b7ccb74896c158e0a7b

Then we get

Windows host process (Rundll32) was closed

to help protect your computer, Data Execution Prevention has closed Windows host process (Rundll32). Click to learn more.

Stage 2

I then tried editing "Microsoft Mail Configuration Library 11.0.8164.0.osd"

I added the following code from "The SoftGrid Streaming Process" (http://blogs.technet.com/virtualworld/archive/2007/04/22/the-softgrid-streaming-process.aspx)

Example 5: Pre-Launching a Control Panel Applet within the Sequence

Example 5a

Code Snippet

<DEPENDENCY>

<SCRIPT TIMING="PRE" EVENT="LAUNCH" WAIT="TRUE" PROTECT="TRUE">

<SCRIPTBODY>
    "%SFT_MNT%\Office03Std\VFS\CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES_COMMON\System\MSMAPI\1033\mlcfg32.cpl"
    </SCRIPTBODY>
    </SCRIPT>

<DEPENDENCY>

I get a command prompt window flash up and then disappear then my usual errors return.

I did capture the command prompt with an Alt + Print Screen

C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\MICROS~1>"Q:\Office03Std\VFS\CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES_COMMON\System\MSMAPI\1033\mlcfg32.cpl"

Registry error: 2: reg_key::reg_key(): Could not open key: Conext: \Registry\Machine\Software\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\SystemGuard\ComExclusions

I am looking at doing further research to see if there is any information out there on "How to create a new outlook profile when using SoftGrid"..

Any suggestions or futher advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Daniel

Friday, April 18, 2008 8:18 AM
  • I will also be watching this one closely as I am having similar issues (needed to create a message store to sequence the CRM plugin) and then cannot add addresses later.
    Monday, May 26, 2008 12:40 AM
  • Found this information at another location. Hope it is helpful. Evidently the application exists under the "View 32-bit Control Panel" Icon.

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2008/04/28/where-is-outlook-mail-setup-in-control-panel.aspx

Best of luck.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:05 PM
  • Hello,

This is resolved with Office 2010 beta and the App-v deployment kit.

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:05 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:47 PM